Q. What are the causes of white and yellow lesion with a red border on my tongue?

Dr. Pallavi Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have small white and yellow lesions with a red border on my tongue. My tongue also develops a white coating, that has to be scrapped of daily. I have attached a photo of the same. What are the likely causes?

#

I have gone through your complaint and the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The blisters on your tongue that look like small white or yellow center lesions with a red border, is most probably due to a fungal infection that occurs in the mouth or throat due to an overgrowth of yeast. It is called as oral candidiasis or oral thrush.
  • It can occur due to:
  1. Weakened immune system.
  2. Individuals with diabetes.
  3. People taking inhaled steroids.
  4. After the use of antibiotics, which may kill good bacteria.
  • I suggest you try doing the following.
  1. Consuming yogurt may restore proper fauna in your mouth.
  2. Use salt water to rinse your mouth.
  3. Try using Fluconazole, which is an oral antifungal medication.
  4. Use Nystatin mouthwash, which is an antifungal mouthwash that you rinse your mouth with and then swallow.
  • Please take these medications under the observation of your dentist. Visit your nearby dentist, to confirm the diagnosis. Your doctor may take a biopsy of it.

I hope this answer will help you.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|