Q. I have gingivitis. Gums are very painful. What do I do?

Dr. Subha
Published on Jul 27, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 26, 2018

I am a 56 year old male. I have been diagnosed with gingivitis and taking medicines like Metrogyl, Amoxyllin, and Relaxon since two days. But, it is very painful today. What do I do?

Dr. Subha

Dentistry
#

Gingivitis is a condition in which the gums are inflamed, reddish and have the tendency to bleed while brushing. When the gum disease is severe it causes pain.

From the details you have given, it is clear that you are already under antibiotics and painkiller regimen. It usually takes about five days for the symptoms to subside gradually.

The pain comes down as the inflammation subsides. Pain relief will be complete only after a dental procedure called the scaling (cleaning) which is done by the dentist after the inflammation subsides.

I suggest you use Chlorhexidine mouthwash twice daily. Also, apply Rexidin M gel (a combination of Chlorhexidine, Lidocaine, and Metronidazole) on the gums twice daily.

If the pain is unbearable, apply Mucopain gel (Benzocaine) on the gums. This is a topical anesthetic gel that temporarily relieves the pain. But, this should not be used regularly.

Do warm salt water gargling after every meal.

In case you are a diabetic patient, control of blood sugar levels is very important for the healing of gingivitis.

If the pain persists even after a week after scaling, then there might be chances of bone loss, abscesses or periodontitis.

Kindly give some insight on how everyday habits affect the teeth.

Query: Hi doctor, What are the everyday habits that could affect our teeth? I want to get some insight on how certain practices such as smoking, biting nail, opening things with the mouth, etc., affect the teeth.  Read Full »

Why is my tooth root exposed?

Query: Hello doctor, My two front bottom teeth are wearing away from the inside (from below upwards). They will soon have the roots exposed and then I will surely lose them. Is there anything I can do to slow down the process? Brushing now seems to accelerate it with chunks coming out!! I have not been to ...  Read Full »

What can be done for frequent mouth ulcers?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an oral ulcer problem. I always get big oral ulcers. Presently, I have three big ulcers. Please help me out.  Read Full »