Q. I have a coated tongue for the past five months. What it could be?

Dr. Honey Arora

I have had a coated tongue for the past five months. I was under extreme stress, worry, and anxiety. Even thought that I had got HIV from receiving oral sex. Since then, I have had a 10 week and six months negative HIV test. About a month after my exposure, I noticed that my tongue was white. Now five months later, I feel like the roof of my mouth is dry and has a clear mucus layer, and my tongue has not changed. The coating is primarily on the back. It feels like my papillae are furry. If I use a scraper or salt and then dry mouthwash it looks normal for a bit. What do you think?

#

I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like a thick white coating that is commonly seen in case of yeast infection of the tongue or oral thrush. It commonly causes dryness in the mouth. Papillae feel furry due to the infection. My suggestion to you is to start gargling with anti-fungal mouthwash like Nystatin mouthwash. Eat more of probiotics like yogurt. Place Clotrimazole lozenges in the mouth and let it dissolve. Also, get your tongue examined by a dentist. Did you use any mouthwash or took any medicine for it?

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Could this be HIV? I was told that my two tests were conclusive. Does oral thrush bleed? Or be in other places than just my tongue? I did take two to three different antibiotics for a couple weeks before I noticed the white tongue. I did consult a few dentists online who said it did not resemble thrush. Is thrush common in adults? Can stress cause this? Any home remedies? I have uploaded a new photo. It has been the same for months. No change.

#

It is not necessarily due to HIV. Also, thrush does not bleed normally. Yes, it gets wiped off but will reappear. Taking antibiotics can be a causative factor for thrush. I have already mentioned the remedies in the previous answer.

| 

I need a second opinion on my oral thrush. What could be causing this?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had an oral thrush. I was taking Candid Mouth Paint and Hexidine Mouth Wash to clear it. It was cleared after two days of using but after two days it started to get black in color. I was still using the above medications, but now I have stopped taking the all oral medicati...  Read Full »

Are white tongue, muscle aches, and sore throat symptoms of HIV?

Query: Hello doctor,I had an unprotected sexual contact with a commercial sex worker some six months ago. I do not know the health status of that lady. After 30 days of exposure, I got fever and body pain and I went to the hospital for treatment. He suggested checking a Widal test and a urine test. The res...  Read Full »

I have asthma and nasal polyp, and some foul smell is coming from my nose and throat. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have allergic asthma and nasal polyp since the past year. I have seasonal asthma since my childhood, and during an endoscopy, they found a 7 mm polyp at the GE junction, which is benign. I am feeling fatigue, and some foul smell is coming from my throat and nose. My recent bloo...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»