Q. Are white tongue, muscle aches, and sore throat symptoms of HIV?

Answered by
Dr. Sushil Kakkar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I had an unprotected sexual contact with a commercial sex worker some six months ago. I do not know the health status of that lady. After 30 days of exposure, I got fever and body pain and I went to the hospital for treatment. He suggested checking a Widal test and a urine test. The results came as typhoid and I had taken medicines for that too and for stomach pain. Three courses of antibiotics have been taken. The stomach upset was the main problem that time. I am normal now. After one month, I had white plaques like formations on the tongue and one side of the tongue color also slightly changed. I consulted a dentist and he told me the tongue was normal. I went for HIV tests as below:

  • HIV rapid test after 40 days - negative
  • HIV Combo test after 70 days - negative
  • HIV CD4 test after 70 days - normal
  • HIV Duo test after 84 days - negative
  • HIV rapid test after 88 days - negative
  • STD full test after 88 days - all negative
  • HIV ELISA test after 110 days - negative unit as 0.06
  • HIV ELISA test after 155 days - negative unit as 0.07

My doubt is I have many symptoms like a sore throat with red patches, white tongue, body ache, muscle ache, white dot on the head like itching. I sometimes have a burning sensation. These symptoms have been there for three months. I am wondering it could be due to the exposure. Mostly, I have consulted with a general physician for muscle ache and body ache. I feel like my neck muscles have reduced a little bit.

My doubt is whether I have been infected with HIV? My recent test is HIV antibody test at 155 days from my exposure being negative. Please advice.



Welcome to

Your screening tests have convincingly ruled out HIV (human immunodeficiency virus).

Perhaps you have oral thrush which may have started because of repeated courses of oral antibiotics.

I suggest you use a topical antifungal like Clotrimazole mouth paint.

In addition, I also suggest you take an oral antifungal like tablet Fluconazole 50 mg once a day for two weeks.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can I use Hydrozole for jock itch?

.. of Hydrocortisone and Clotrimazole) cream contains steroid and should not be used as a treatment for jock itch (fungal infection of the groin). You will experience temporary relief while using it but your condition will aggravate once you stop usi...   Read full

Which test can be used to test HIV after having sex using two condoms?

.. try to solve your query so that all your doubts are cleared. First, to get infected with HIV first your partner needs to be HIV positive. The chances of your partner being HIV positive depends on the type of partner. If your partner is a commercia...   Read full

I have a cold and flu after having sex. Could it be HIV?

.. immunodeficiency virus) symptoms cannot appear so soon. It may be due to an anxiety or just a coincidence. For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> .. ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.