Q. I need a second opinion on my oral thrush. What could be causing this?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

I recently had an oral thrush. I was taking Candid Mouth Paint and Hexidine Mouth Wash to clear it. It was cleared after two days of using but after two days it started to get black in color. I was still using the above medications, but now I have stopped taking the all oral medications. Do you have any idea what could be causing this? Is this a yeast overgrowth? Is there any medicine that can clear this up? I showed this to a dermatologist. She said to discontinue all the medications as this would clear up. I just needed a second opinion on this.

#

I have gone through your question and I can understand your concern about your erythematous tongue.

• As per your history, symptoms, and signs, it seems to me that you are having a drug-induced lichenoid reaction
  • Kindly let me know if you have taken any painkillers or any other antibiotics or antifungal tablet or injections? 
  • Do you have any medical history of the same? Are you allergic to any medications?
  • I suggest you take vitamin B12 or multivitamins. You can have saline gargles after taking food. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the above medicines with their consent.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Recently, I had a fungal infection and I took Itraconazole for 28 days and then stopped two weeks ago. I was taking only a multivitamin twice a week but another doctor asked me to stop it. I have not been on any painkiller. Everything was fine up until three days ago.

#

• Yes, it is a drug-induced (antibiotics related) opportunistic infection that often heals without the intervention of medicine. 
  • I suggest you stop all the antibiotics mostly the one which you had for a long time, the antifungal one. Wait for a week and it will subside on its own. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and stop the medicines with their consent.
  • Keep your tongue clean, and avoid oily and spicy food including aerated drinks.

Hope my answer will help you. Regards.

|