Q. I have asthma and nasal polyp, and some foul smell is coming from my nose and throat. Please help.

Published on Apr 20, 2017

I have allergic asthma and nasal polyp since the past year. I have seasonal asthma since my childhood, and during an endoscopy, they found a 7 mm polyp at the GE junction, which is benign. I am feeling fatigue, and some foul smell is coming from my throat and nose. My recent blood work report shows mild elevation in gamma globulin and absolute lymphocyte count. I am worried for the elevated gamma globulin. Is it due to something more serious?

Hematology Pathology
#

Welcome to the icliniq.com.

• According to the history provided, you are having asthma and acid reflux disease.
  • To cure asthma, I suggest using Salmeterol and steroid combination inhaler. Here steroid component can lead to throat irritation and secondary throat infection, for example, candidiasis like a fungal infection. As a result, your mouth might smell bad, so do wash your mouth with water after using the inhaler.
  • Use Betadine mouthwash, before sleeping to maintain good oral hygiene. You should get the posterior pharynx examined by an ENT otolaryngologist.
  • Prolonged acid reflux can also lead to throat irritation, and secondary to it there might be foul smell from the mouth.
  • Absolute lymphocytosis can be considered as viral infection here, for which symptomatic management is done. If CBC report is not improved even after a week, then further workup needs to be done.
  • If acid reflux is not improving with medication, then fundoplication like surgical management can be done.
  • Platelet count is slightly low, and giant platelet is seen suggest towards the destruction of platelet, secondary to an infection. Gamma globulin level also seems increased here secondary to infection.
  • For acidity, try doing the following.
  1. Take less spicy foods.
  2. Avoid heavy meals.
  3. After dinner, sleep only after two hours.
  4. Keep your head raised by putting a pillow under the head, while sleeping.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

| 

I have fungal infection in my ear.Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with fungal ear infection yesterday. Doctor asked me to get admitted in the hospital for a microsuction to remove fungal debris. Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction? Can microsuction be done as an out patient procedure without staying in...  Read Full »

I have a coated tongue for the past five months. What it could be?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a coated tongue for the past five months. I was under extreme stress, worry, and anxiety. Even thought that I had got HIV from receiving oral sex. Since then, I have had a 10 week and six months negative HIV test. About a month after my exposure, I noticed that my tongue wa...  Read Full »

How can bad breath be stopped and prevented?

Query: Hello doctor, I am facing a problem with bad smell from mouth. I have faced this problem six to eight months before after my accident and I took heavy-dose antibiotics. I have shown to a dentist and I have cleared all my tooth problems. After that also, I am facing this bad smell. I am taking Omepr...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now