Q. I have asthma and nasal polyp, and some foul smell is coming from my nose and throat. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Parth R Goswami
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 20, 2017

Hello doctor,

I have allergic asthma and nasal polyp since the past year. I have seasonal asthma since my childhood, and during an endoscopy, they found a 7 mm polyp at the GE junction, which is benign. I am feeling fatigue, and some foul smell is coming from my throat and nose. My recent blood work report shows mild elevation in gamma globulin and absolute lymphocyte count. I am worried for the elevated gamma globulin. Is it due to something more serious?



Welcome to the icliniq.com.

  • According to the history provided, you are having asthma and acid reflux disease.
  • To cure asthma, I suggest using Salmeterol and steroid combination inhaler. Here steroid component can lead to throat irritation and secondary throat infection, for example, candidiasis like a fungal infection. As a result, your mouth might smell bad, so do wash your mouth with water after using the inhaler.
  • Use Betadine mouthwash, before sleeping to maintain good oral hygiene. You should get the posterior pharynx examined by an ENT otolaryngologist.
  • Prolonged acid reflux can also lead to throat irritation, and secondary to it there might be foul smell from the mouth.
  • Absolute lymphocytosis can be considered as viral infection here, for which symptomatic management is done. If CBC report is not improved even after a week, then further workup needs to be done.
  • If acid reflux is not improving with medication, then fundoplication like surgical management can be done.
  • Platelet count is slightly low, and giant platelet is seen suggest towards the destruction of platelet, secondary to an infection. Gamma globulin level also seems increased here secondary to infection.
  • For acidity, try doing the following.
  1. Take less spicy foods.
  2. Avoid heavy meals.
  3. After dinner, sleep only after two hours.
  4. Keep your head raised by putting a pillow under the head, while sleeping.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Can fungal infection cause low grade fever?

.. a chronic fever, which is called as pyrexia of unknown origin when we are unable to ascertain a cause. As your blood tests and x-ray are normal, lung infection is ruled out. Conditions causing chronic fever are numerous. Also, certain infect...   Read full

How can bad breath be treated?

Hello doctor, I have a bad breath problem ... I really feel a bad breath in my mouth when I wake up early in the morning ...   Read full

I have a whitish lesion on the lateral side of tongue. Is it leukoplakia?

This white lesion could be leukoplakia, fungal infection called oral candidiasis, lichen planus or plaque ... It looks like oral candidiasis which is a ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

7 Days COVID Care
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 Vaccines
COVID-19 vaccines can be a real lifesaver. Read this to know the answers to the common questions and doubts on COVID-19 ...  Read more»
Female Sexual Arousal Disorder: Break the Shackles and Seek Help!!
This article throws light on Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorder, a common but least discussed sexual health topic a...  Read more»
Covaxin Vs Covishield
The coronavirus vaccines, Covaxin and Covishield, have received a green signal for restricted emergency use in India. In...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Hematologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.