Q. When will I get the rubber bands and power chains during the orthodontic treatment?

Dr. Prerna Jain
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I have my braces for three or four weeks I suppose to get spikes because my tongue thrusting I was wondering do I get the spikes when I go to my next visit? When will do I get the rubber bands and power chain? I hope you can tell me some more information I am looking forward to.

Do you have a question on Orthodontic Treatment or Tongue Crib Appliance?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Prerna Jain

MDS (ORTHODONTICS AND DENTOFACIAL ORTHOPAEDICS)., BDS
Dentistry Orthodontist

The time at which the tongue crib appliance is placed is usually in earlier visits at the start of treatment. However, this decision depends on a multitude of factors, along with your orthodontist treatment approach. It varies with each orthodontist. Also, elastics and e-chain are used for many different purposes like correction of bite, closing spaces, aiding in alignment, retraction, etc. So again, it depends on what tooth movement your teeth require. The simplest way of knowing is to ask your orthodontist for these details.

Ask a Doctor Now