Q. Are my right knee and hip pain due to osteoid osteoma?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2021

I am suffering from right knee and hip pain, for more than one year. My MRI reports showed a right femoral neck stress fracture with surrounding edema and osteoid osteoma. The doctor saw my blood and MRI reports and suggested taking capsule Sunbless 60K, tablet Ezorb forte, and tablet Voveran 50 gm. But I am not feeling any relief, in fact, the pain is going from severe to unbearable. The doctor asked for a PET scan. I am very desperate due to this problem. I have attached my reports, kindly help me. What should I do?

#

I understand your concern and would like to help you with it. I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You have low vitamin D levels and should continue Sunbless 60K and should also start Calcium supplements along with it.
  • A PET (positron emission tomography) scan may or may not be able to differentiate between the two because of the size of the lesion. Noncontrast CT scan is a better investigation to delineate the bony lesion.
  • If you have osteoid osteoma, then these medicines will not provide relief in your condition.

Feel free to discuss further.

For further queries consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Thanks a lot for your response. I have already got a CT scan done, but nothing was found in that. Therefore, I am waiting for my next appointment, which is after ten days. There is still ten days for my appointment but my pain is getting very severe, and in the night it becomes unbearable. I will be getting the PET scan in the next appointment. What should I do doctor?

#

• If your CT scan gives a normal report and your MRI mentions a stress fracture with pain becoming worse at night, then there is a strong possibility for it to be due to osteoid osteoma.
  • Have you tried Aspirin so far? If not, I suggest taking 100 mg of Aspirin at night and let me know how you feel. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking medicine after their consent. I have a strong belief that it will settle your pain on a temporary basis.

Looking forward to your response.

Revert with more information to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|