Q. Is it safe for a 60 year old to use Terifrac for osteoporosis?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abdelrahman Abouibrahim
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 22, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2019

My mother is 60 years old. She is being treated for osteoporosis currently for which we are already consulting a specialist. I am attaching few other reports towards which would request you to evaluate the same and let me know your interpretation and concerns and treatments if any. For cholesterol and kidney levels findings what should she do? Regarding osteoporosis (revealed through DEXA scan), she has been advised Terifrac injection 20 mg (8 units) daily for a year plus a calcium supplement. What are the side effects of Terifrac at her age and with regards to her other reports, especially ones related to kidney, creatinine etc.? Is it safe to use for her? Any suggestion for her rheumatoid results? My mother also is under medication for BP. Currently, her BP was 130/8. Should she continue with her dose of Losacar H one per day or modify the same?

#

I have checked the attached reports thoroughly (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Here is my comment:

Fortunately, there are no autoimmune rheumatoid arthritis or SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) as both ANA and anti-CCP are negative.

Unfortunately, the DEXA scan shows there are osteoporotic changes which increase the risk of fracture and requires treatment.

Calcium supplements and Terifrac (Teriparatide) are suitable medications for the osteoporosis. Terifarc may cause some depression, gastric upset or muscle weakness, but generally, it is well tolerated by postmenopausal women.

There is no rheumatoid arthritis.

Her blood pressure is well controlled and there is no need to change the medication.

Regarding the kidney function, it is the high normal level with evidence of hydration (could be the effect of Losacar H). So, I recommend good hydration and follow up of renal functions after two weeks.

I have noticed that she has anemia as well as high cholesterol levels which require medication to be controlled.

Her blood sugar level is normal. Best wishes.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|