Q. I have pain in both feet. Please check X-ray and suggest diagnosis and treatment.

Dr. Lokesh
Published on Feb 14, 2018

A 40 year old male having pain in both feet for four to five months. The pain is in the bottom of the feet going from the heel to balls of feet and toes. Enclosed X-ray of feet and foot images. Please suggest diagnosis and treatment. I am not diabetic and uric acid is normal. RA factor is also normal.

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

Mostly this appears to be plantar fasciitis but I could not see your X-rays as it is not attached. This is a condition in which the fascia or the tissue at the heel is inflamed, and pain is there especially in the morning after getting up from sleep.

I suggest the following medications: Tablet Piroxicam (20 mg) 0-0-1 for 10 days after food.

Tablet Rabeprazole (20 mg) 0-0-1 for 10 days before food.

Tablet Shelcal (Calcium) 500 mg 1-0-0 for 30 days before food.

Tablet Vitamin D (60 K) once daily for 10 DAYS, then once a month for 11 months.

Apply Dolonex Ointment (Piroxicam topical 5 mg) after getting up in the morning.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent. Take these tablets only if you are not allergic to them. Also, do not take these tablets if you are a known case of bronchial asthma. Follow up immediately in case of any untoward reactions.

You need to do the following exercise: Physical therapy. A physical therapist can instruct you in a series of exercises to stretch the plantar fascia and Achilles tendon and to strengthen lower leg muscles, which stabilize your ankle and heel. A therapist may also teach you to apply athletic taping to support the bottom of your foot.(alternatively, you can do the exercises at home too), Wear shoes which have soft soles, or alternatively, you can insert silicon heels or silicon soles, Apply ice twice daily.“This is only a second opinion platform.This professional advice provided by me stands subject to the actual examination of report/image and is based entirely on inputs provided to me. It should be correlated with clinical findings.”

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Sending the X-ray again. Also mailed images to icliniq.

Dr. Lokesh

#

I saw the X-ray report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It says decreased joint space in intertarsal and tarsometatarsal.

You have arthritis. We need to find out the cause of it. The above-given tablets and soft soles will help you,

But you need to do blood tests,

1. CBC
  2. ESR
  3. CRP
  4. Serum electrolytes.
  5. Anti-CCP.
  6. Serum uric acid.

Do these blood tests and follow up to find out the cause of it, Regards.

Is this arthritis in one foot or both? Can you tell which foot it is in? When doctor was examining my foot he had pressed very hard on my right foot. Can such a trauma cause this arthritis? I am enclosing some blood tests. I had got done for your reference. Please advise. Any precautions I should take while walking, sitting, sleeping, or putting pressure on foot?

Dr. Lokesh

#

The X-ray report is of both feet. So, I guess it is in both the feet. Arthritis cannot be caused by just pressing hard on the foot. Yes, all the tests adviced by your doctor are correct - but all are negative - but still a small percentage of patients can have inflammatory arthritis with negative blood reports, Precautions - you need to wear silicon soles which will cushion your feet a bit and help prevent the flare-up of arthritis, also if running is a problem causing pain then you need to avoid running and weight lifting or gym activities till pain subsides. So can you take a picture of the X-ray film and send me - as reports do not describe everything and maybe I can conclude something after seeing the X-rays as other factors like degenerative arthritis like osteoarthritis or neuropathic arthritis can also lead to this presentation.

Enclosed is the X-ray film. I am also mailing the X-ray image to the team. Please see if you can tell if arthritis is in both feet and any other details.

Dr. Lokesh

#

Yes, I saw your X-rays (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems that you do have diffuse osteopenia on both sides and arthritis on both sides, left more than the right affecting the tarsometatarsal joints.

This can be idiopathic sometimes where the cause is not known or neuropathic like Charcot's arthropathy which is usually seen in diabetics but can be seen in nondiabetics too. Charcot's arthropathy seems to be the reason more so in your case seeing the X-rays, There are medicines available to help treat this but this may not completely cure it. And you will also require some blood tests before I can suggest the medicines.

I visited the doctor again and he asked me to get DEXA bone scan as he thought foot X-ray showed weak bones. DEXA results now show low score and very weak bones. Enclosed DEXA report. I have now been prescribed Teriparatide injection once a day for six months. Do I need to take this injection? Is it safe? Will my foot pain go away after I take this injection? Please advise whether this injection is required or not in my case.

Dr. Lokesh

#

Yes, he is right. You do need the injections as you have severe osteoporosis. So, this injection is the treatment for you. It is relatively safe and your bone pain will get better once the osteoporosis reduces. But, you should always keep in mind that once you stop after completion of the course of injections you can never repeat this injection during your life.

Regards, “This is only a second opinion platform. This professional advice provided by me stands subject to the actual examination of report/image and is based entirely on inputs provided to me. It should be correlated with clinical findings.”

But if I do not want to take this injection are there any substitute medicines available? Can a high calcium and protein diet with exercise cure the osteoporosis? Please advise.

Dr. Lokesh

#

Just tablets and protein diet will not help you with this severe osteoporosis.

You can also take a once-yearly injection Zoledronic acid but it will be less effective as Teriparatide considering you have severe osteoporosis. There are also tablets available called Bisphosphonates but again they are less effective and also cause many gastric side effects like acidity and vomiting, So, I believe this doctor of yours has done the right thing and given you the right injection. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

I have multiple small nodules in both the lungs. What should I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I underwent a comprehensive health checkup recently and it revealed multiple small nodules in both my lungs from the high resolution CT scan. Presently, I have sporadic recurring breathlessness during late evenings. Now, I am taking osteopenia medication, calcium and calcinase nasal spra...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sunil Kumar Nookala
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your CT scan report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) suggests that you do have nodular lesions. But, your symptoms do not correlate with these lesions. Nodules of less than 5 mm size are of no significance. Nodule of 8 mm size to be followed up after s...  Read Full

I have had multiple concussions. Is it due to growth hormone deficiency?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old male and I have been living with a lower quality of life for the past eight to nine years, starting around six to seven months after I had a pretty severe concussion. I had been diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome and saw several neurologists who ran numerous tests ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, I feel that you could have osteoporosis or osteopenia rather than growth hormone deficiency. You can have your bone DEXA scan done and follow up with your orthopedician if it turns out to be either. Growt...  Read Full

Do Not Ignore Arthritis Symptoms!!

Article Overview: This article stresses upon the fact that, when signs of arthritis appear, one should approach a doctor as early as possible for appropriate treatment. Read Article

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Inflammatory arthritis is a common problem in females between the age group 20-50 years. It is characterized by swelling of the joints, early morning stiffness and pain which is constant and little relieved by work and use of painkillers. It is an autoimmune condition, i.e, body's immune system st...  Read Article

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now