Q. I am an 18-year-old female experiencing a swollen ear that hurts a lot. What could it be?

Dr. Akshay B K

I am an 18-year-old female who is 5'4" tall. I am experiencing a swollen ear that hurts a lot. The pain is extreme when I try to pop it or apply Hydrogen Peroxide solution. I have had the same issue previously, for which I did not take any medication. I am concerned if it is a swimmer's ear, or is it because my ear canal is extremely small? What could it be?

Please help.

#

I have read your query and can understand your concern.

I suspect you have otitis externa, an infection of the ear canal commonly called the swimmer's ear. The ear is a sensitive organ, so please do not apply Hydrogen Peroxide, as it might affect your hearing.

I suggest you take the following medications;

1) Tablet Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid 625 mg twice daily.

2) Tablet Acelofenac 100 mg, Paracetamol 325 mg, and Serratiopeptidase 15 mg twice daily.

3) Tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once in the morning on an empty stomach.

4) Tablet Montelukast 10 mg and Levocetirizine 5 mg once a day at night.

5) Apply Steroid cream to your ear canal twice daily.

Revert in case of further queries.

Otitis externa.

|