Q. Can hyponatremia and excess water intake cause swelling in my face?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

I drink more water, so I have a swelling in the mouth and chest. I follow keto diet for the past two mouth. I eat tablet Metformin, tablet Losartan, tablet Sucralfate, and tablet Pantoprazole. My sodium level is 135 mEq/L. Earlier it was 140 mEq/L. All my X-ray and CT scan reports are normal.

#

Do you have similar symptoms now? How is the urine flow? Is it normal and adequate?

Thank you doctor for the reply,

Yes, I do have symptoms for the past one week. I have an urge to urinate 15 minutes after drinking water. Urine color is normal and adequate if I drink more water.

#

So there is an obvious cause for your problem. Limit your water intake, you will be fine soon.

Thank you doctor for the reply,

I have reduced my water intake. How long will it take to reverse the swelling with balanced sodium level? Should I prefer IV medications?

#

The physiological process of our body is it excretes the excess water. Reducing water intake makes the sodium level normal. Normal blood sodium level is between 135 to 145 mEq/L.

Thank you doctor for the reply,

How much water should I drink?

#

Do you have swelling in the mouth?

Thank you doctor for the reply,

I have visible swelling in my lips and chest with muscle weakness.

#

Increased water intake causes hyponatremia but usually it does not occur if body organs like pituitary gland, heart, and kidney are working normally because excess water is excreted through urine. The symptoms include weakness, muscle cramps, nausea, vomiting, and irritability. I would suggest you to reduce water intake and add some salt to the meals. This should resolve your symptoms.

Thank you doctor for the reply,

I will follow your instructions.

#

Welcome back to iclinic.com.

Sure. You will be fine soon.

|