iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersEndocrinologybrain aneurysmWhat is the treatment for prolonged sodium loss in my dad?

How to improve low sodium levels after a brain aneurysm repair surgery?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 7, 2017
Reviewed AtDecember 18, 2023

Patient's Query

My father underwent a brain aneurysm repair one and a half years ago, after which, he is having a constant loss of sodium. He is taking one Tolsama 15 mg tablet every alternate day to stabilize his sodium levels. He is also currently taking Encorate Chrono 500, Absolut 3G, Nexfolin and Tamlocept D. I enquired with the neurosurgeon about this, as it is unusual for the sodium loss to continue for such an extended period post-surgery. I was told to contact an endocrinologist for my concerns. What do you suggest to reduce this prolonged sodium loss?

Answered by Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I read your query about your father and it appears that he has SIADH (syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion). It commonly occurs after a brain surgery, due to excessive fluids and use of diuretics. The sodium levels usually return to normal soon, but in some elderly patients, it does not stabilize as they are less likely to suppress AVP (arginine vasopressin), the hormone causing diuresis. I suggest he continue with Tolsama 15 mg (Tolvaptan) as it is given for the treatment of resistant hyponatremia. As for the other endocrine related factors, he can have these tests done:

1. Plasma and serum osmolalities and biochemistry.
  2. Thyroid function tests.
  3. Synacthen test.
  4. Chest x-ray.

I would like to add that these tests will only confirm his diagnosis and the treatment plan is likely to be the same. Hope this helps.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Endocrinology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Endocrinology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy