Q. What is the solution for pain during intercourse?

Dr. Bharat Udey
Published on Mar 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 21, 2019

My wife is having pain during sexual intercourse from initial days. First time she had some bleeding. The bleeding stopped within a few days. Initially it was very difficult. Then we started to have it full fledge. After a month, there is no pain, but still insertion hurts her every time. For about two weeks she had a terrible UTI and followed by yeast infection. She is fine now, but the pain during insertion is still there. Can you please give me some advice on what to do? Or which tests to go for? Thanks in advance.

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrics Psychiatry Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

• It is quite common to experience pain during coitus, especially for a newlywed woman who had never done sex before.
  • This happens because of the narrow introitus (vaginal entrance) which need to accommodate the male penis. For a virgin woman, pain with bleeding is common to occur for initial few times. UTI (urinary tract infection) is also commonly contracted during this period.
  • Use safe sexual measures and maintain adequate sexual hygiene to prevent UTIs in future.
  • To lessen the pain during coitus, you can start with healthy foreplay, so that she can become wet adequately. This will help in easy penetration and will reduce the pain.
  • Also during foreplay try finger penetration as well to widen her introitus. Besides this, try positions in which she can have less pain during penetration, such as women on top rather than going straight away for missionary or from behind.
  • In women on top, women is in control of the penetration depth, force of penetration and frequency of strokes, which she can control as per her needs and this position have less pain as well.
  • Besides this, talk to her actively about her problems and try to bring back her confidence and motivation. All these measures will help her to experience less pain and she can also enjoy coitus more freely and actively.
  • Regarding UTI, if symptoms persist then seek a consultation from a physician in person and take adequate treatment as well.

For further doubts consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

I will try your advice. Do you think long hair around the vagina could be a problem if they would enter during coitus? Would it matter to trim them or would that take away the protection from other dirt?

Dr. Bharat Udey

#

• Yes, it is possible to experience pain even after two months of marriage. This is called vaginismus.
  • However, if it persists even after the measures explained in previous query, then you should take her to see a gynecologist, to rule out any local anomalies.
  • As such, long hairs in pubic area do not cause any problem during coitus. But, if you are not comfortable with them, you can get them trimmed.
  • Yes, the pubic hair has its own benefit. Trimming them would take away these benefits, but to the contrary, it will provide you more pleasure and better sensations during coitus.

For further information consult a sexologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

Kindly suggest a remedy for pain during intercourse and the best days for conceiving.

Query: Hello doctor, My husband aged 31 and I aged 25 have been married for eight months. We are trying for a baby but unable to as there is pain during intercourse. Both of us are not able to be aroused completely and hence we tire easily. What types of food can be taken? Can you suggest the best time for...  Read Full »

Is it possible that I got pregnant with only foreplay and no intercourse?

Query: Hello doctor, My periods are a 28-day cycle. I was sexually intimate with a man, 15 days after my menstruation. There was no intercourse, but only foreplay, causing a lot of fluid discharge. I have not got my periods yet. Also, by mistake, I took the Regestrone 5 tablet before dinner instead o...  Read Full »

Why am I not able to insert my penis into the vagina?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 30-year-male with a weight of 75 kg and a height 5 feet 7 inches. I recently got married. My wife is 28. We had no relationships before. We are not able to have an intercourse. I get an erection but I am unable to penetrate her. I do not know whether erection is not enough or if ...  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now