Q. What causes breast discomfort and nipple discharge?

Dr. Ridhi Narang
and medically reviewed by Dr.Lekshmipriya B

My sister, aged 38 years, married with two kids, has got an ultrasound done as she was having discomfort in her breasts for a few days. Could you please guide me as to what the ultrasound indicates?

#

I can understand your concern. However, I need to know a few things. Since when is she having this discomfort? Does she have any discharge through the nipples? Is there any relation with her periods? Does the discomfort increase or decrease during periods? Has she got herself physically examined? This ultrasound (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) shows some cysts, which can be physiological as well, but she needs to get examined once.

As of now, I suggest taking capsule Evion (Vitamin E) 400 mg once daily for 21 days. In the evening, she can take a capsule of Primrose oil, break it and massage over the breast once a day for 21 days.

Let me know if it does not help; we may have to go for another investigation. Take care.

Thank you for the reply.

She had a discharge from her nipples last week (just a drop on squeezing), which is now settled after taking a course of antibiotics. Her periods are also normal. Is there something to worry about from the report of the mammogram and ultrasound attached? What should be the future course of action for this? Please guide us, doctor.

#

There is nothing to worry about. Just follow up regularly every three to six months. Mammography is usually not recommended with dense breasts and also at this age. So ultrasound is better, and if needed, we can get MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) done later. Tell her not to press or squeeze the nipples. Use a properly supportive bra. I suggest getting a blood test for serum prolactin. Usually, with raised prolactin, there is discharge from the nipples. If there is anything else, she can contact me. I suggest taking medications as advised. Take care.

|