Q. I injured my hip after a fall. Can you please explain the MRI of my hip?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 29, 2021

I injured my hip after a fall from a trailer, where my leg and hip got twisted. I had an MRI of my right hip after the fall. The report said, diminutive or obliterated anterior labrum, with degenerative posterior labrum. The fluid adjacent to right greater trochanter is suggestive of trochanteric bursitis. Can you please explain what that means? Thank you.

#

I have seen your MRI report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You have not mentioned the symptoms that you are experiencing, but taking into consideration your age and the MRI, the diminutive labrum only represents wear and tear changes in the hip, which are most likely age-related wear changes.
  • Trochanteric bursitis that is mentioned is the inflammation of the bursa, which lies between the hip bone and the skin. Both these conditions cause hip pain, which is worsened with activity. Bursa causes pain on the side, while worn hip joint causes pain in the groin.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|