Q. Why is there soreness in hip while standing after sitting position?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

I am a 49-year-old female weighing 75 kg, 170 cms height. For a few months, I have experienced soreness in my left hip. It really only occurs when I get out of a car and go to stand. It is quite a dull pain. Not sure if there is any connection but I injured my lower back and a few times, to relieve the pain, found straightening and straining my left leg helped. The soreness has only occurred since then. Sometimes I have felt this when getting off a sofa, but less commonly. Occasionally, when I have taken Nurofen for a headache or period pain, the soreness disappears. I am wondering if there is anything I should be doing.

#

You have a history which is classic of tendinitis depending upon the site of pain it may be due to piriformis, gluteius medius, or iliopsoas or ischial tuberosity related. You need to mention which is the exact site of your hip pain. Is it side of the hip, groin, front of the hip or deep hip pain on the back.

Secondly, do you have have pain that radiates from back to leg? Do you have any tingling or numbness in your lower limbs? Can you sit cross-legged? Do you play any sports regularly or does your occupation involve a lot of physical activity? Have you undergone any clinical examination or investigation like X-ray or MRI? Follow up with your answers to the questions and feel free to discuss further.

I do not have any other pain radiating from the hip, nor any numbness or tingling. It passes very quickly, only when I go to stand after having sat down, especially from a car seat. Mainly, it is from the front part of the hip, and it does not feel deep. Typically, I do aerobics twice weekly and yoga once per week. I can sit cross-legged.

#

Most probable diagnosis in your case is iliopsoas tendinitis or iliopsoas syndrome. IIliopsoas tendinitis is inflammation of the iliopsoas tendon, its insertion site or the bursa between the tendon and the underlying bone.

Whereas iliopsoas syndrome refers to a strain, partial or complete rupture of the iliopsoas tendon. It is unlikely to be complete rupture, however partial rupture, strain and tendinitis cannot be differentiated from history or even examination, it requires MRI evaluation.

It is best to take analgesics for a few days to settle the inflammation. Hot fomentation and massage are also helpful in these cases. Take rest from your yoga and aerobics session for a couple of weeks to let the injury heal. Once your pain settles, then muscle stretching, and strengthening exercises can be started.

|