Q. I am suffering from anterior tibial tendinitis. Should I quit my job?

Dr. Lokesh
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 25, 2019

I am a 25 year old female with no allergies, smoking and drinking. I am suffering from anterior tibial tendinitis. I first began to feel the throbbing pain in my foot a month back. I was told that I have tendinitis. Last two weeks, I have worked for 12 hours a day with no day off was a big contribution for this medical condition. Anterior tibial tendinitis limits my activities by making it hard for me to walk or stand during long periods of time. I did not have any medical tests done. A physical examination of my right foot and ankle was done last week. I received a prescription for an anti-inflammatory pill called Naproxen. I was advised to take this 500 mg pill up to two times a day to help with pain but the pill must be taken before the pain begins. I was also advised to continue wearing supportive shoes, insoles, ankle supports and ice my foot for approximately 20 minutes whenever I feel the pain. I can do other activities that I do not put so much stress and strain on the foot.

I was out a total of 3 days because of this condition. I did call my employer and let them know what was going. I also bought to their notice that I would be out for the next 2 days due to this medical condition. I did my research on this medical condition looked up information on the computer about tendinitis. When I looked up this information I was advised to cease the activity which caused tendinitis. I also looked up the short-term and long-term effects of this medical condition. I have documentation to prove that I do have this medical condition. Shall I apply for leave? Or should I quit my job?

#

No, you need not have to quit your job. What you can do is that you can get an ultrasonography (USG) of the tendon done which will show you the inflammation and it will provide you with the documentation of anterior tibial tendinitis.

With this documentation, you can apply for about 3 weeks of leave. The leave you got was only for the emergency department. You can visit the OPD (outpatient department) and do a USG scan, document it and apply for further leave.

Meanwhile, you can use Naproxen as prescribed to you. Do hot fomentation now over the affected area thrice a day and limit your activity to give rest to the affected part. Also a removable walking cast is going to help you a great deal to recover from this condition sooner and present worsening of this condition which will lead to chronic anterior tibial tendinitis.

|