Q. I am suffering from anterior tibial tendinitis. Should I quit my job?

Answered by
Dr. Lokesh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 25, 2019

Hi doctor,

I am a 25 year old female with no allergies, smoking and drinking. I am suffering from anterior tibial tendinitis. I first began to feel the throbbing pain in my foot a month back. I was told that I have tendinitis. Last two weeks, I have worked for 12 hours a day with no day off was a big contribution for this medical condition. Anterior tibial tendinitis limits my activities by making it hard for me to walk or stand during long periods of time. I did not have any medical tests done. A physical examination of my right foot and ankle was done last week. I received a prescription for an anti-inflammatory pill called Naproxen. I was advised to take this 500 mg pill up to two times a day to help with pain but the pill must be taken before the pain begins. I was also advised to continue wearing supportive shoes, insoles, ankle supports and ice my foot for approximately 20 minutes whenever I feel the pain. I can do other activities that I do not put so much stress and strain on the foot.

I was out a total of 3 days because of this condition. I did call my employer and let them know what was going. I also bought to their notice that I would be out for the next 2 days due to this medical condition. I did my research on this medical condition looked up information on the computer about tendinitis. When I looked up this information I was advised to cease the activity which caused tendinitis. I also looked up the short-term and long-term effects of this medical condition. I have documentation to prove that I do have this medical condition. Shall I apply for leave? Or should I quit my job?



Welcome to

No, you need not have to quit your job. What you can do is that you can get an ultrasonography (USG) of the tendon done which will show you the inflammation and it will provide you with the documentation of anterior tibial tendinitis.

With this documentation, you can apply for about 3 weeks of leave. The leave you got was only for the emergency department. You can visit the OPD (outpatient department) and do a USG scan, document it and apply for further leave.

Meanwhile, you can use Naproxen as prescribed to you. Do hot fomentation now over the affected area thrice a day and limit your activity to give rest to the affected part. Also a removable walking cast is going to help you a great deal to recover from this condition sooner and present worsening of this condition which will lead to chronic anterior tibial tendinitis.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What are the ways to prevent migraine headache?

But the headache is killing me ... Please someone help me for precaution or any medicine which help me to prevent from the headache ...   Read full

Why am I not able to urinate from today evening even after drinking lots of water?

.. of urine in a female may be due to infection. A rare cause is Fowler's syndrome. Give hot fomentation in the lower abdomen below the umbilicus. If you feel like you need to pass urine, go to the toilet and open the tap. Let the cold water touch yo...   Read full

I have crackling sound and soreness in my TMJ area. Will it go away by itself?

.. be because of two reasons: Due to TMJ (temporomandibular joint) problem. For that, you can do dry hot fomentation and eat soft foods preferably from the other side. It can be due to a nose block or a mild infection. Put decongestant nose drops li...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Alzheimer's Disease - an Overview
Alzheimer's is a neurodegenerative condition that can seriously hamper one's day to day activities and quality of life. ...  Read more»
My father is experiencing hospital delirium after ankle surgery. Please help.
Hi doctor, I am concerned about drug interaction for my father. He is experiencing hospital delirium after surgery. My ...  Read more»
Is there a chance for dengue reattack in the same season?
Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with dengue towards the end of last month. I was hospitalized for five days. I went through...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Chiropractor Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.