Q. What can cause panic attacks?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 06, 2020

I have been having panic attacks for the past 13 years. I have been to the hospital on multiple occasions and have been diagnosed with anxiety attacks every time. I have had EKGs and blood work done. All the reports are fine. Sometimes, I am having multiple panic attacks in a day and also I am getting these every day. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

• For panic attacks and persistent anxiety, there is a need to get a medical checkup done.
  • Hyperthyroidism, cardiac issues like angina, etc., could cause increased risk of panic attacks.
  • So, if the panic attacks are persistent, then get one ECG done to rule out heart causes and thyroid function tests to rule out hyperthyroidism. Once that comes normal, then most likely cause of symptoms is panic disorder with anxiety.
  • Behavior therapy has great roles in panic, especially when one does not have access to prescription medicines.
  • Yoga and relaxation exercises help to calm individual in events of panic attacks. Green tea can also help you in coming out of panic symptoms.
  • If symptoms persist, then visit a psychiatrist for help. SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) can help to reduce anxiety.
  • In situations of severe panic attacks Benzodiazepines like Clonazepam and Lorazepam will help.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Is coronary angiography required in chronic stable angina?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom is 56 years old. She is a patient of hypertension, diabetes, and mild nephropathy. BP 140/80, pulse 96/ min, creatinine 1.3, fasting sugar 125, postprandial 157. From a few months, my mother is suffering from chest pain. The doctor told it is chronic stable angina. All other te...  Read Full »

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

Suffering from subclinical hyperthyroidism with anxiety and palpitations.

Query: Dear Doctor, I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my 15 year old daughter. Her symptoms have developed most significantly over the past few months, and include depression, weakness, constant light-headedness, shortness of breath (even when sitting still), difficulty taking a deep breath (ca...  Read Full »