Q. What can cause panic attacks?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 24, 2021

I have had panic attacks for the past 13 years. I have been to the hospital on multiple occasions and have been diagnosed with anxiety attacks every time. I have had EKGs and blood work done. All the reports are satisfactory. Sometimes, I have multiple panic attacks in a day, and also I get these every day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#

There is a need to get a medical checkup done for panic attacks and persistent anxiety. Hyperthyroidism, cardiac issues like angina, etc., could cause an increased risk of panic attacks. So, if the panic attacks are persistent, get one ECG done to rule out heart causes and thyroid function tests to rule out hyperthyroidism. Once that comes normal, the most likely cause of symptoms is a panic disorder with anxiety. Behavior therapy has a significant role in panic, especially when one does not have access to prescription medicines. Yoga and relaxation exercises help to calm individuals in events of panic attacks. Green tea can also help you in coming out of panic symptoms. If symptoms persist, then visit a psychiatrist for help. SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) can help to reduce anxiety. In severe panic attacks, Benzodiazepines like Clonazepam and Lorazepam will help.

|