Q. Is it possible to get weird breakout around chin due to change in diet?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
Published on Mar 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 29, 2019

Just recently I have noticed some weird breakouts around my chin area. I am not sure when they started. While I do from time to time experience acne, I do not think what I am experiencing on my chin is not an acne breakout. Because there is no white head or black head present. They are not popable. The only change in my diet is I have been enjoying an occassional glasses of wine after dinner. I have also started eating mozzarella cheese, which I have not eaten before. Thinking that it was perhaps linked to hormones. I have restarted birth control three days ago after a 4 month hiatus. Please help.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

Hi Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have reviewed the attached photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and according to me they are papular lesions of acne. They are not blackheads or whiteheads.

I would recommend you to continue with the birth control pill besides applying Benzoyl peroxide 5 percent gel on the pimples twice daily.

Follow some tips to avoid pimples such as keep your face dry, avoid applying oily creams and moisturizers, avoid oiling of scalp, use cosmetics labelled as non-comedogenic and reduce the intake of sugary foods.

1. Hormonal disturbances.
2. Seborrhea.

Acne vulgaris.

Top 10 Questions on Acne

Article Overview: Acne vulgaris or what is commonly known as pimples starts in teens. It leads to the lowering of self-esteem, decreased work capacity and some form of permanent scarring. There is a huge misinformation among parents and patients about the disease, thus leaving them perplexed as to how to deal with it. In this article, I have gathered the top 10 questions on acne to help both parents as well as patients to guide them to make informed choices on the issue. These, however, are general guidelines and patients are advised to consult a qualified dermatologist for treatment. Read Article

Dr. Abdul Samieh Deva

What Is Acne? Acne is a disorder of pilosebaceous unit found in the skin. Sebaceous gland is often associated with a hair follicle and is known as a pilosebaceous unit. The most important lesion in acne is a comedone. Besides, papules, pustules, and nodules are also found. In common terms, these ar...  Read Article

Adult Acne: A Common Problem

Article Overview: Adult acne is more common nowadays with changes in lifestyle and the use of various cosmetic products. The treatment of adult acne is a challenge for many dermatologists and is also frustrating for the patients. Understanding the cause of adult acne helps establish a better strategy for the prevention and treatment of adult acne. Read Article

Dr. Sreelakshmi S

Acne is very common in the teenage group. But, when we have acne as an adult, it is very frustrating. The Acne treatment which worked in adolescent age can be useless or even worsen the condition. Many people wonder 'do adults get acne?'. Yes, adults can get acne. Some continue to get acne in their ...  Read Article

What Is Acne Vulgaris?

Article Overview: Acne vulgaris is a common condition that usually starts in teenage years when sebaceous glands become active. However, acne can also occur in childhood and even in infancy, but it is rare. Read Article

Dr. Rabia

Acne vulgaris is a common condition that usually starts in teenage years when sebaceous glands become active. However, acne can also occur in childhood and even in infancy, but it is rare. Some individuals have an inherent tendency of having hyperactive sebaceous glands, this is one of the risk fact...  Read Article