Q. Will separation anxiety cause psychological problems for my kid in the future?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

From the past five days, I am sending my 21 month old son to a daycare. For the first three days, they allowed me inside the campus. Since I was close by, he was playing well. But, from the last two days, they are not allowing me inside and hence he is crying a lot. Today he was a bit fine but, not actually enjoying. Will it affect my child's health? Will it create any psychological problem in him? I have heard that the cortisol hormone levels will be changed. Is that true? My in-laws are not staying with us. So, I have to either send him to the day care or I will have to send him to my in-laws'. Which is the best option?

#

I have gone through your query and understood your concern.

Yes, it is true that the child may suffer from some psychological problems when not staying with the parents or the regular care giver as it occurs in some foster homes. But, as you mentioned that it is only for a few hours every day, it does not affect significantly.

Make sure you are available to the child after your office hours and then take proper care of him physically and emotionally.

Since in a daycare system, there will be other children with him, he will have company. So, it is not a problem.

After a few days in the daycare, if you observe some changes in the baby, you may assume that the baby is not comfortable there. But, in the initial days, it is normal for him to behave like this as the baby has anxiety from the unknown surroundings and people.

Leaving the baby at your in laws' place is a good option, provided they are able to take care of him.

You can wait for a few days or weeks to see if the baby is comfortable in that place and then decide.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|