Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. How can my wife avoid passing on her eye infection to our child?

Answered by
Dr. Rahul Vaswani
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 18, 2018

Hello doctor,

My wife is having a red eye. We are thinking that it is spreading to the other eye too. We visited an ophthalmologist and she said that it is viral conjunctivitis. She has prescribed Gatifloxacin eye drops four to five times a day and Moxicip ointment at night. This was three days back. How can we prevent the spread of this infection to my 4-year old daughter? My wife takes care of her at home.

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)


Welcome to

Here are a few tips to avoid transmitting eye infections to those around you:

  1. Handle your child only when no one else can.
  2. Do wash your hands before and after instilling your eye drops.
  3. Wash your hands before handling your child (most important step).
  4. Keep your handkerchief, bed sheets, towels, and pillow covers absolutely segregated from other family members.
  5. Do not let your child touch your face or eyes. If he or she does, kindly wash their hands properly.
  6. At the very first sign you think your child's eye is also red, please consult an ophthalmologist at the earliest.
  7. Do not let your child sleep next to you for this period.
  8. Also, make your child wash their hands after every physical interaction they have with you.
  9. They should not play with any of your personal belongings like googles, mobile phones, and keys for this period.

I know some of the steps are hard, but one has to follow them.

For more information consult an ophthalmologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
I got conjunctivitis 7 days back.I had red eye with eyelid swelling.Now redness is gone but blurring is present.What do I do?
I am facing premature ejaculation. How do I overcome it?
Keeping Your Teeth Clean !!!
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have frequent eye infection with pus and blood discharge. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Since last 7 to 8 months I am having an eye infection, like a stye. It is getting frequent almost after every 3 to 4 weeks. I recollect having collided with somebody about one and half years back, hurt on my right eye with somebody's elbow and had a swollen eye, very painful and under...  Read Full »

I got urethritis and conjunctivitis after unprotected oral sex. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I got urethritis and conjunctivitis, at the same time a few months back. I had thick transparent penile discharge with burning and itching sensation. I got this after a week of having unprotected oral sex. I have had urethral swab and urine test done, and the reports showed ureaplasma...  Read Full »

Is parasitic eye infection contagious?

Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend had some irritation in her eye. So, we went to the doctor, who said she has a parasite in her eye. After reading about it on the internet, I am worried that she might go blind. It is a very new relationship, so I wanted to know if it is contagious?  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.