Q. How can my wife avoid passing on her eye infection to our child?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

My wife is having a red eye. We are thinking that it is spreading to the other eye too. We visited an ophthalmologist and she said that it is viral conjunctivitis. She has prescribed Gatifloxacin eye drops four to five times a day and Moxicip ointment at night. This was three days back. How can we prevent the spread of this infection to my 4-year old daughter? My wife takes care of her at home.

#

Here are a few tips to avoid transmitting eye infections to those around you:

1. Handle your child only when no one else can.
  2. Do wash your hands before and after instilling your eye drops.
  3. Wash your hands before handling your child (most important step).
  4. Keep your handkerchief, bed sheets, towels, and pillow covers absolutely segregated from other family members.
  5. Do not let your child touch your face or eyes. If he or she does, kindly wash their hands properly.
  6. At the very first sign you think your child's eye is also red, please consult an ophthalmologist at the earliest.
  7. Do not let your child sleep next to you for this period.
  8. Also, make your child wash their hands after every physical interaction they have with you.
  9. They should not play with any of your personal belongings like googles, mobile phones, and keys for this period.

I know some of the steps are hard, but one has to follow them.

For more information consult an ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|