Paresthesias

What are the symptoms of multiple sclerosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old female, I would like to know if multiple sclerosis is hereditary? My dad has it, and I am very nervous to inherit this disease. I have had two brain MRI's that have been normal, except for an incidental finding of a pineal gland cyst. I continue to worry about inhe...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Internal Medicine Physician, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. It is clear that you are not having MS (Multiple sclerosis) as of date. None of your symptoms are typical of multiple sclerosis. Back and thigh pain is posture related and tremors are anxiety related. Repeated MRI's being normal further rules ...  Read Full »

I am suffering with disc bulge. Please get me a solution for it.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from disc bulge at the level of L5-S1. It causes pressure at nerve root for past two months. I am under treatment but no satisfactory improvement in these two months. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned from MRI findings as L5/S1 disc bulge, instability at L5/S1 level and pars defect of L5 with likely compression of both exiting L5 nerve roots. I would like to know few more details such as, What is the duration of back pain and its intensity on a scal...  Read Full »

My symptoms of paresthesia persist even after decompression surgery. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a compressed nerve in the fibula head for almost 2 years following an operation to lengthen my right leg. The pain was only on and off seemingly after a certain activity. Over time, I could increase the activity level before getting the same symptoms, but then stop improving. M...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your question. The possible reason for persistent symptoms is there has been a longstanding compression on your nerves. So, the nerve would have been damaged subtly. It may not be that extensive damage, which would be demonstrated in the NCV study (nerve con...  Read Full »

Having pain in left leg, burning sensation in left foot and numbness in the left foot. What it could be?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 46 year old woman with dull pain in left leg and heat sensation in left foot, which is on and off throughout the day. The problem has been there for the past two to three weeks. I do not recall any injury, which could have led to this problem. It just started suddenly. The heat s...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned heaviness in your left leg along with burning sensation, which we call as paresthesia. Also, you have mentioned that you have back stiffness since many years. So, I presume that there could be some nerve impingement and that may be causing these symp...  Read Full »

Can copper deficiency cause short-term memory loss and paresthesia of the face?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27 year old female, and I have severe short-term memory loss (8/30 MMSE). I have paresthesia bilaterally on my face, which has spread from the upper part to around my mouth. I also have startle myoclonus and muscle stiffness. My walking speed has slowed, and the muscles in my...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Copper deficiency is a known cause for non-compressive myelopathy, which can explain your muscle stiffness, slowed walking, and clonus in legs. But startle myoclonus is a different thing. It might be a flexor spasm in legs, which someone interpreted as startle myoclonu...  Read Full »

Why does paresthesia progress in post-polio syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is a 50 year old woman with a history of polio in childhood and complains of paresthesia since a year. It started suddenly from the toes on both sides and it progressed to upper back (T4) in 20 days. She was hospitalized with post-polio syndrome and treated with IV Ig. She co...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not quite agree with post-polio syndrome. Post-polio syndrome after these many years is quite rare. From a neurosurgical point of view, when I look at her MRI cervical spine (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there is a significant disc bulge present a...  Read Full »

Do you think disc hernia can cause issues with hands and legs?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a herniated disk in the neck area. Later, my right hand started tingling and the numbness grew more pronounced. I also started having burning pain on the back of both thighs. I have had some muscle twitching down my right arm. I am having accuracy issues with typing now. I had ano...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned herniated disc in your neck region with right upper limb symptoms and also associated bilateral thigh symptoms, which we call as paresthesias. But, my main focus is on the symptom of difficulty in writing, including accuracy issues, which definitely ...  Read Full »

Can sleeping on hard side of the bed cause pins and needles sensation?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been sleeping on a bed that has hard side on the upper torso and soft side below. It is giving me pins and needles sensation and it has been there for a while now. Please advise.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The treatment depends on the area where you have the pins and needles. I am assuming it to be in your legs. If that is the situation, then you should look into nerve issues (sciatica). But, it will also cause lower back pain. I would suggest you to try firm surface which ...  Read Full »