Q. Is it necessary to get surgery done for cervical neuropathy?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

I got cervical neuropathy 10 days back. Got MRI 6 days back. On bed rest, analgesics, got Depomedrol 80 mg shot, Pregabalin, Methycobalamine and oral Medrol. Have not got any muscular weakness or UMN signs. Mild parasthesia in thumb and index finger of right hand. Pain has decreased by around 30-40 percent since it started 10 days back and I am not taking any NSAIDS for last 2 days. I have got a few concerns.

Do these changes occur at this age (43 years)? How bad are the degenerative changes? Any need of surgical intervention? How much time usually it takes for complete resolution of acute episode? Is it going to be a trouble in future as well? I mean repeat episodes or further complications. What should be the life style changes after resolution of acute episode (you know the nature of a pediatrician’s job)? If at all surgery is required in future (further canal stenosis causing cord compression), how risky is the surgery and how are the results?

#

I have gone through your medical history and the attached reports in detail (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It does not seem to be a serious matter at present. Yes neuropathies are common at this age. Usually, it takes around 3 to 4 weeks for an acute episode to resolve depending on the symptoms. If proper care is taken (avoiding use of pillow, avoiding lifting heavy weights, neck exercises) usually symptoms do not recur. At present there is no need of surgery. You are doing pretty well and recovering fast. Use cervical soft collar and take analgesics for atleast 10 days. Get a repeat MRI after 3 months. Well, decompression surgery is risky and has side-effects and should better be avoided.

| 

MRI spine showed intramedullary mass at T4. Is it a cyst or malignancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an MRI of the thoracic spine and it showed an intramedullar mass at level T4. I was told it is likely to be a cyst and is not malignant. However, everything I have read online says that intramedullar lesions are almost always malignant and cysts are rare or maybe evidence of MS,...  Read Full »

Can copper deficiency cause short-term memory loss and paresthesia of the face?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27 year old female, and I have severe short-term memory loss (8/30 MMSE). I have paresthesia bilaterally on my face, which has spread from the upper part to around my mouth. I also have startle myoclonus and muscle stiffness. My walking speed has slowed, and the muscles in my...  Read Full »

Please suggest a solution for neuropathy in feet and intense burning throughout the body.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 65-year-old male. I had cancer before four years and was in a coma for about four times. My remission is a miracle. I have severe neuropathy in feet and poor control over the last three years. Even narcotics do not work and now exploring alternatives. My question is for the la...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Spine Surgeon Now