Q. I have an itchy bump around the second toe nail. What is it?

Published on Aug 03, 2016

I have an itchy bump around the nail of one of my toes, the second one. It has happened in the past years, usually when the season gets warmer. It started about a month ago and grew into a quite itchy, sensitive and swollen area. It is now turning to purple. I tried antifungals before, but it was hard to know whether they made a difference. Please help.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have read your concern and examine your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It seems that you are having paronychiaAcute paronychia is a soft tissue infection around a fingernail that begins as cellulitis, but that may progress to a definite abscess.
  • It is a painful and pus containing condition; most frequently caused by Staphylococci.

Ingrowing nail.

1. Gram staining and culture.
2. Potassium hydroxide (KOH) 5% smears.

1. Acute paronychia without obvious abscess can be treated nonsurgically like in your case.
2. I suggest tablet Augmentin 625 mg thrice daily (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) for 5 days and 1% Clotrimazole plus Fusidic acid cream twice daily for one week.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Cut the nail from the side as it grows from the side and cause recurrent problem. Also, do not use tight foot wear.

Revert back after a week to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Why am I having itching and irritation near genital area?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from heavy itching and irritation in the area between thighs near genital area and asshole area. Currently, I am using Candid B lotion and Clotrimazole cream.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Avoid Candid B (Beclometasone and Clotrimazole) cream. It is a fungal infection. You will need oral antifungal medication. Are you allergic to oral medication? Are you diabetic? For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-d...  Read Full

My wife has swelling and pain on her toe. Does she require surgery?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife has swelling and pain on her toe (pictures attached). Sometimes, blood and pus also secrete from it. Can you please suggest what we should do? Can this be healed through medicine? Please advise the medicine we should use. Does she require any surgery? Please advise.  Read Full >>

Dr. Datta Ram Udayagiri
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Does she have any comorbidities like diabetes? Does she have a fever too? It looks like a condition called paronychia or periungual abscess, an infection of the nail fold and bed. It needs the f...  Read Full

Can tooth abscess spread throughout the body?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old female. I have an abscess in my tooth for over a year now. I am getting it infected for the second time now. The previous infection was before six months. It is present at the bottom of one of my lower molars. It hurts me a lot. How long will it take to spread throughou...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a less chance to have the infection spreading to the whole body. But, sometimes, it happens when the swelling gets increased and when the fever becomes uncontrollable for two to three days. There is a chance to have a cystic lesion due to the chronic infection....  Read Full