Q. I have an itchy bump around the second toe nail. What is it?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2020

I have an itchy bump around the nail of one of my toes, the second one. It has happened in the past years, usually when the season gets warmer. It started about a month ago and grew into a quite itchy, sensitive and swollen area. It is now turning to purple. I tried antifungals before, but it was hard to know whether they made a difference. Please help.

#

I have read your concern and examine your pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It seems that you are having paronychiaAcute paronychia is a soft tissue infection around a fingernail that begins as cellulitis, but that may progress to a definite abscess.
  • It is a painful and pus containing condition; most frequently caused by Staphylococci.

Ingrowing nail.

1. Gram staining and culture.
2. Potassium hydroxide (KOH) 5% smears.

1. Acute paronychia without obvious abscess can be treated nonsurgically like in your case.
2. I suggest tablet Augmentin 625 mg thrice daily (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) for 5 days and 1% Clotrimazole plus Fusidic acid cream twice daily for one week.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Cut the nail from the side as it grows from the side and cause recurrent problem. Also, do not use tight foot wear.

Revert back after a week to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|