Q. My wife has swelling and pain on her toe. Does she require surgery?

Dr. Datta Ram Udayagiri
Published on Nov 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife has swelling and pain on her toe (pictures attached). Sometimes, blood and pus also secrete from it. Can you please suggest what we should do? Can this be healed through medicine? Please advise the medicine we should use. Does she require any surgery? Please advise.

Dr. Datta Ram Udayagiri

General Surgery Surgical Gastroenterology
#

I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Does she have any comorbidities like diabetes? Does she have a fever too?
  • It looks like a condition called paronychia or periungual abscess, an infection of the nail fold and bed.
  • It needs the following treatment:
  1. Antibiotics for seven days such as a combination of Amoxicillin and Cloxacillin 500 mg tablet, three times a day, before food.
  2. Incision and drainage, as there will be pus inside. It is best drained with an incision and drainage. A small cut is made into the pus under local anesthesia to drain the pus. This does not need admission, and she can go home after the procedure. This can be done at any hospital and is usually done by a surgeon.
  3. Tablet Chymoral Forte (Trypsin and Chymotrypsin) one at 8 AM, one at 8 PM, for three to four days, to be taken after food. This is an analgesic. This reduces pain and swelling. 
  • Update me on the progress.

For more information consult a general surgeon online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

Thanks very much for the response. She does not have diabetes or fever, but she feels a pain in the toe while walking. We do have a little baby (7 months old). Is it alright to breastfeed while taking the medicines? Also, which specialty doctor usually treats paronychia? Should we consult a general surgeon or dermatologist? Kindly let me know so that I could take an appointment accordingly at our local hospital.

Dr. Datta Ram Udayagiri

#

• Please see a general surgeon. She needs a small surgery, with incision and drainage.
  • She can take the antibiotic while breastfeeding is safe. The drugs levels in milk are low. 
  • As she is breastfeeding, it is better not to take Chymoral forte. She can take tablet Diclofenac 50 mg (Nac SR), twice daily after food. This is also safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Hope that answers your query.

For more information consult a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

Can I give P-250 and Amoxicillin for fever to 3 years old child?

Query: Hi doctor, My son age 3 years old has a fever since yesterday noon, till now I have given six times P-250 5 ml dosage, the fever reduces and comes back in three hours. The temperature goes 102.8 F in the underarm. Now at 2.30 PM, I have given Amoxicillin 125 mg 5 ml with P-250. Otherwise, he is nor...  Read Full >>

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. A fever has multiple causes, the most common causes are viral fever, throat inflammation. Usually, these illness does not require antibiotics (Amoxicillin). Antibiotics should be started only in a bacterial infection that too after doctor's re...  Read Full

Can you take Tylenol with Amoxicillin?

Query: Hi doctor, Yesterday, I had my wisdom tooth extracted. I received a prescription for Tylenol 3 (equivalent to Acetaminophen 300 mg and Codeine 30 mg) for pain and Amoxicillin (500 mg) to prevent infection. I immediately took one Amoxicillin as I walked out of the dental office and for the rest of th...  Read Full >>

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi. Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. The allergic reaction can be due to Amoxicillin only, because Acetaminophen and Codeine will not cause any allergic reaction. I suggest you to stop Amoxicillin. You can use any of the Cephalosporin ins...  Read Full

What is the cause for seperation of nail from nail bed?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 50 years old female, went through menopause but otherwise I am healthy. There is a problem with my nails. Out of 10 nails, six nails have one-third of the nails separated from the nail beds, with a v shape, looking white underneath, rest of the nails are looking pinkish pale. The na...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You seem to have a condition known as onycholysis, which is characterized by the separation of the nail from its nail bed. Causes could be either a fungal infection (onychomycosis) or ...  Read Full

Ask a General Surgeon Now