Q. How to avoid passive smoking?

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 31, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

My father is a chain smoker and he smokes inside the house in the bathroom. Our house is pretty small and the smoke easily circulates everywhere. I have advised him many times in many ways not to do it, but he is not listening to me. My concern is not him anymore, but my mother. She was pretty sick a few years ago and got her kidney transplanted. I am really worried about her health. Can you suggest any sprays or fresheners that absorb the nicotine and reduce the effect? Any other alternative solution is also appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#

• First of all, smoking is injurious to health, both for the smoker as well as the passive smokers. So, it is advisable to avoid smoking as well as to avoid inhalation of passive smoke.
  • Regarding your query, it is not possible to reduce nicotine concentration in passive smoke by using any air freshener or disinfectant spray.
  • To reduce further smoke exposure, I will advise to use N95 respirator mask for your mother. There is no other way to avoid passive smoking.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|