Q. Is there no natural way of conceiving with PCOS?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 30, 2020

Good Morning! Doctor. I am 35yrs old and weighs 88.3Kg. I am diagnosed with PCOS which is really making hard to reduce weight. However, I have reduced my weight within recent 3months. Is there no natural way of conceiving rather going for IVF or other treatments. My local GP hinted that I might have abnormal cells during Smear test as I bleeded thrice after sex last month and also performed a Transvaginal scan.

My period started getting irregular and to control my excessive bleeding the doctor prescribed me to continue with oral contraceptive pill named Yasmin for which I continued for more than 1 and a 1/2 yrs time. As advised I stopped taking the pills when wanted to start a family since 4 years.

Please advice and support on this. Shall we continue to have sex or wait until I have my smear test again which has been booked for this month.

Many thanks, Regards

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

hello, to answer ur various queries

• if u are experiencing post coital bleed and are scheduled for a pap smear it's advisable to be abstient for atleast 1 week prior to the procedure .
  • pcos does make losing weight and conceiving very difficult . but it's not impossible . gud job on ur weight reduction . continue the gud work with the slow and steady weight loss. as u continue to reduce ur weight tthe hormonal imbalance tat causes pcos will also be corrected and increase ur chances of pregnancy.
  • ivf is not the only option for pcos , it's the final option . if u keep up the weight loss and ur medication u can expect a natural conception (though it's difficult it's not impossible) .even before u ungergo ivf , u will have to lose weight .
  • Ur periods will continue to remain irregular till ur pcos is under control . so currently if u are considering weight loss before conception u may consider restarting on hormone pills . starting the pregnancy at an ideal weight ensures a safe pregnancy for both u and ur baby.
  • I know weight loss with pcos is frustratingly slow, so try mixing up ur exercise regime , include yoga , cardio ,weight training , hiit and different exercise type to keep it interesting . diet just stick to home cooked meals , and try to eat small meals at shorter intervals .u will have to sacrifice junk.

all the best regards

|