Polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD) affects women in their childbearing years and results in hormonal imbalance. Irregular and heavy periods, hair growth on face and body, male-pattern baldness, weight gain, etc., are the common symptoms.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have weight gain with reduced menstrual flow. Do I need thyroid medicines?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old female. I am having a recent weight gain and menstruation flow is very less than normal. I also have hair fall, tiredness and I feel there is something blocking my throat. Sometimes, I feel cold than other family members. So, I checked my thyroid levels. T3 was 0.87,...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara. P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms do fit into thyroid problem, but as long as the reports are normal you are not a candidate for medication. There is no need to consult an endocrinologist, but yes, some lifestyle changes have to be done. Do daily exercises like brisk walking, jogging or cyc...  Read Full »

I was diagnosed with PCOD six months ago, and I have not got my period for three months. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 23 years and my weight is 63 kilograms. I was diagnosed with PCOD six months ago. After some treatment, I used to get my period every 45 days. But now it is been three months and I have not got my period yet. Can you suggest to me what tablets I can use to get my periods? Thank...  Read Full »

Dr. Sanap Sneha Umrao

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) is very common these days, especially in the young population. Weight and PCOS are correlated with each other. So you should maintain your weight within BMI (body metabolic index) with regular exercise and diet modification, it will help...  Read Full »

What am I experiencing multiple symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old female. In childhood, I had malaria and double typhoid. Everything was normal until few years back. Things started all over again since the last five to six years. I have been putting on weight continuously, suffering from weakness, horrible fatigue and body pain all th...  Read Full »

Dr. Swaraj Waddankeri

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have what is called subclinical hypothyroidism. It is also a metabolic component of PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease). You are doing most things right. Remember there is no magic treatment. Exercise and diet are continuous events that need regular and consistent fol...  Read Full »

How effective Meprate in preventing pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor,My girlfriend is a virgin and we were intimate for two consecutive days last month. During that time, her periods were delayed by two weeks. I was careful not to ejaculate anywhere near her vagina nor was it knowingly in contact with my penis. She waited for another 10 days and since she d...  Read Full »

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ideally, Meprate - Medroxyprogesterone should be taken only after confirming the absence of pregnancy as Meprate has a tendency of causing incomplete abortion. So, it would be wise to get a serum beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) done. It is a blood test that d...  Read Full »

I have been having intermenstrual spotting for the past three to four months. Could it be due to vigorous exercise or stress?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old, unmarried and weigh 123 pounds and my height is 5"1 feet. I have been having intermenstrual spotting for the past three to four months, apart from which my cycles are regular. USG taken one month ago revealed an ET of 13mm. Currently, I am on Minesse, since day five...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Spotting could be due to hormonal induction as you are taking or hormonal imbalance inside the body. It would be better if you avoid similar contraceptive pills for a long time as this cause short and long-term effects on the body. So better try to have other contrac...  Read Full »

I took tablets Cyproterone and Ethinyl Estradiol for PCOS and severe acne problems. Does it have serious side effects?

Query: Hi doctor,I have PCOS, and I am suffering from severe acne problems due to it. I took tablet Cyproterone and Ethinyl Estradiol for nine months, which resulted in a significant reduction in acne. It has been a year since I stopped taking the medication, and again acne problems have arisen. Does table...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Tablet Cyproterone and Ethinyl Estradiol are for patients with polycystic ovaries having acne and abnormal hair growth. If you are not having any benefit, it may be your body is not responding to it, so it is better to stop it now for some time and check the difference....  Read Full »

I am having all the pregnancy symptoms but the pregnancy test came back negative. What could be causing this?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having pain in my right lower abdomen and it extends to my back a bit. I took an abdominopelvic scan and the doctor said something about PCOD. My period is two weeks late and I took a pregnancy test but it came back negative. Although, I am having almost all the pregnanc...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Jain

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As the pregnancy test is negative there is no chance of pregnancy and the ultrasound does not suggest any pregnancy. Delay in periods may be due to some hormone disturbance due to stress or other factors. You can take the tablet Primolut N (Norethisterone) twice a day ...  Read Full »

Can you please interpret the transvaginal scan report of my wife?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to discuss fertility issue of my wife. She is 39 years old and has had PCOD. Her transvaginal ultrasonography of uterus and adnexa shows: Uterus is bulky in size AP diameter about 4.1 cm and anteverted in position. Inhomogeneous area is seen in anterior wall of uterus ...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. It would be better if you would send me detailed history. Detailed scan report also needed, as in report regarding firboids and adenomyosis need to be clearly defined so better request detailed description of these pathologies from th...  Read Full »

I had finger pleasure with pre-cum with my friend who has PCOD. Do delay in periods with negative beta-hCG and urine tests indicate pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an intimate moment with my friend where we had finger pleasure (with pre-cum in the finger) and no penetrative sex, but ejaculation on the outside. The last period date was the almost two months back and we indulged in this activity around fifteen days after the last periods. The...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Jain

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for your query. You need not worry because of the following reasons: There was no unprotected vaginal intercourse. No deposition of semen deep in the vagina. Urine pregnancy tests and beta-hCG tests are negative. Spotting occurred. There is no c...  Read Full »

I have PCOD, severe menstrual cramps, and PCOD symptoms. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have PCOD, due to which I have delayed periods, severe and uncontrolled menstrual cramps, and mood swings. Also, I feel anxious and tired all the time. Please help me find a solution to this problem.  Read Full »

Dr. Natasha Bansal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query and understood your concern. I see your ultrasound report is suggestive of polycystic ovarian appearance and you also have delayed periods so the diagnosis of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) is made by this (attachment removed to protect...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.