Q. Can PCOD cure on its own, or does it requires surgery?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I have PCOD. My left cyst size is 8.45×5.81 cm, and my right cyst is about 3.7 cm. For the past month, I took Ovral g tablets. Now I am taking Metformin Corectia, Gluciphage, Befer, Zinetac tablets. Thyroid, hemoglobin, and Ca125 lab tests are done. Is it curable by medicine, or shall I take laparoscopic surgery? Kindly suggest.

#

Polycystic ovaries should have healthy life precautions, dietary habits, and long-term physical activities. Take a healthy, nutritious diet with less salt, sugar, oil, and spice. Exercise and walk daily. For cysts, you should have checked symptoms; if any abdominal discomfort or distension, it should be investigated. In reproductive age, cysts are hoped to subside naturally if asymptomatic and do not grow. In case of symptoms and a growing cyst, it should be removed, especially if it is larger than 7 cm. If the cysts rupture, it can cause sepsis and infection, so it is better to remove them. In smaller cysts, chances of resolving are more frequent, but it takes time, so the cyst is to be investigated via scan every three to six months. If it is symptomatic and larger in size, it is better to remove it as it can rupture, which could be an emergency due to spillage of internal fluid that can be a source of Infection. If you have serum CA 125 (cancer antigen), It is better to have it removed as it will exclude malignancy, to be on the safe side. Extract the sample and send it for histopathology. I hope I have cleared all your doubts.

|