Q. My sister has PCOS, and the doctor suggested a breast examination. Why is that?

Dr. J N Naidu
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

My sister has PCOS, and the doctor suggested a breast examination after her diagnosis. I had looked up information online about PCOS, and a breast examination was not something I had heard being performed on a 15-year-old. Her diagnosis involved an ultrasound and blood work. I initially suspected this was to check for fibrocystic breasts, but I still cannot wrap my head around why this is performed on a teenager.

#

PCOS is generally diagnosed by irregular cycles, hirsutism, ultrasound findings in ovaries.

Breast examination maybe sometimes be needed, especially if you have hair on the breast, face, etc., some unusual symptoms.

It is difficult to comment further without knowing your complete medical history.

When prompted, she responded, saying her breasts felt normal for her age. She does not have any notable symptoms other than missing periods and heavy bleeding when she gets it.

#

It appears that a 15 year-old-girl has irregular periods, which is quite common in teenagers. When you took her to the doctor, she might have checked for secondary sexual characters like breast development and hair growth, characteristics of a growing female. I do not know how you arrived at the diagnosis of PCOS for this girl. You did not mention her weight, symptoms, biochemical test results, ultrasound report criteria.

For diagnosis of PCOS are

1.Hyperandrogenism- elevated testosterone - hair on the face, breasts, etc., some male features.

2.Ovulatory dysfunction- irregular cycles, no ovulation.

3.Polycystic ovaries - observed by ultrasound.

I think it is premature to label a girl of 15 as PCOS without scientific assessment.

The first thing you have to do - reassure her that she is fine. She should eat a balanced diet, more boiled vegetables and fruits, fresh vegetable salads, etc. No readymade foods, junk foods, regular physical activity, brisk walking, playing games, yoga, etc., for 45 mins daily.

|