Q. Is it advisable to undergo surgical treatment for penile fracture?

Answered by
Dr. Yousef Abbas
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 17, 2021

Hi doctor,

I have an untreated penile fracture. I heard a noise during masturbation and my penis started to hurt a lot. But I did not have swelling and pain. So I did not consult the doctor. Now, I am getting pain during erection now and then. It has been a year now. I think that I have a scar that causes pain. Is it hopeless? Can it be treated? I consulted a urologist and he told me to have an operation. What is your opinion? I want to live without pain and lead a normal sexual life again.



Welcome to

You seem to have a post-traumatic micro-inflammation causing self-inforcing pain. It is good that you have consulted a urologist. The penis is an organ densely packed with small important blood vessels and nerves. I give you a therapeutic approach with medication to have a reduction in pain and to fight against inflammation.

The Probable causes:

You have post-injury syndrome.

Probable diagnosis:

You have post-injury inflammation and hypersensitivity of penile structures.

Treatment plan:

You can take tablet Naproxen 250 mg three times a day for two weeks, Gaviscon liquid three times a day one hour or more apart from all other medications, and tablet Bromelain 500 F.I.P. thrice a day for six weeks after stopping Naproxen.

Regarding follow up:

Have a follow-up at any time.

Thank you doctor,

Can I start taking medications at once?



Welcome back to

You can start taking medications at once. You can start taking Naproxen. But take Gaviscon liquid one hour apart from it. Naproxen can cause some gastrointestinal side effects. Gaviscon is alginate that protects the mucosa of the stomach. After taking Naproxen for 14 days, you can continue taking Bromelain and you can stop taking Gaviscon.

Thank you doctor,

I am taking Naproxen for 11 days. But I do not have any effects on my pain. What to do if this treatment fails? I consider undergoing surgery but I am scared. I read that to have this surgery, a person should be in the stable phase of Peyronies disease without pain. It has been 18 months now after having an accident and I still have pain. Please suggest.



Welcome back to

It is bad to hear that Naproxen has not resolved your pain. It is not a strong pain medication. You do not seem to have PD (peyronie's disease). You have a post-accident inflammation that causes self-reinforcing pain. You can undergo a surgery called penectomy. It helps you a lot and it causes pain. You can take Bromelain and Diclofenac for five days. Continue taking Gaviscon three times a day one hour apart from other medications. If this treatment fails, then you can have corticosteroid injections.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is it normal for the penis to fall on one side during erection?

.. have written that you have no past history of any significant condition, so I am sure there is no history of injury or pelvis bone fracture. It is highly unlikely for anyone to have suspensory ligament injury without a pelvic bone fracture. Penile...   Read full

There is a small painlessbump underneath the shaft of penis. What it could be?

Hello doctor,I am facing low back pain from the last one month. I have attached my MRI report.   Read full

I get migraine daily but it gets controlled with painkiller. How to manage the same?

Hello doctor,I am facing low back pain from the last one month. I have attached my MRI report.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Alzheimer's Disease - an Overview
Alzheimer's is a neurodegenerative condition that can seriously hamper one's day to day activities and quality of life. ...  Read more»
My father is experiencing hospital delirium after ankle surgery. Please help.
Hi doctor, I am concerned about drug interaction for my father. He is experiencing hospital delirium after surgery. My ...  Read more»
Is there a chance for dengue reattack in the same season?
Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with dengue towards the end of last month. I was hospitalized for five days. I went through...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Sexologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.