Q. Is it advisable to undergo surgical treatment for penile fracture?

Dr. Yousef Abbas
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 17, 2021

I have an untreated penile fracture. I heard a noise during masturbation and my penis started to hurt a lot. But I did not have swelling and pain. So I did not consult the doctor. Now, I am getting pain during erection now and then. It has been a year now. I think that I have a scar that causes pain. Is it hopeless? Can it be treated? I consulted a urologist and he told me to have an operation. What is your opinion? I want to live without pain and lead a normal sexual life again.

#

You seem to have a post-traumatic micro-inflammation causing self-inforcing pain. It is good that you have consulted a urologist. The penis is an organ densely packed with small important blood vessels and nerves. I give you a therapeutic approach with medication to have a reduction in pain and to fight against inflammation.

You have post-injury syndrome.

You have post-injury inflammation and hypersensitivity of penile structures.

You can take tablet Naproxen 250 mg three times a day for two weeks, Gaviscon liquid three times a day one hour or more apart from all other medications, and tablet Bromelain 500 F.I.P. thrice a day for six weeks after stopping Naproxen.

Have a follow-up at any time.

Can I start taking medications at once?

#

You can start taking medications at once. You can start taking Naproxen. But take Gaviscon liquid one hour apart from it. Naproxen can cause some gastrointestinal side effects. Gaviscon is alginate that protects the mucosa of the stomach. After taking Naproxen for 14 days, you can continue taking Bromelain and you can stop taking Gaviscon.

I am taking Naproxen for 11 days. But I do not have any effects on my pain. What to do if this treatment fails? I consider undergoing surgery but I am scared. I read that to have this surgery, a person should be in the stable phase of Peyronies disease without pain. It has been 18 months now after having an accident and I still have pain. Please suggest.

#

It is bad to hear that Naproxen has not resolved your pain. It is not a strong pain medication. You do not seem to have PD (peyronie's disease). You have a post-accident inflammation that causes self-reinforcing pain. You can undergo a surgery called penectomy. It helps you a lot and it causes pain. You can take Bromelain and Diclofenac for five days. Continue taking Gaviscon three times a day one hour apart from other medications. If this treatment fails, then you can have corticosteroid injections.

|