Q. Does taking pain killers alter the liver function test results?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2022

These are the reports of my kidney function test and liver function test. I was on antibiotics Amoxicillin and Ibugesic plus when having this test. Is this report abnormal? Is there something seriously wrong with these reports? I am worried.

#

Your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) do not have anything to panic about.

You have a slight liver dysfunction that could be due to your coexisting viral infection.

Your uric acid is high, and calcium is low. But your kidney functions are normal.

You need an ultrasound of the abdomen to see the status of the liver, whether it is fatty or not.

Moreover, you need to stop drinking the alcohol in case you consume it.

Once you recover from the viral infection, your doctor will start you on Calcium supplements and Febuxostat. That is a uric acid-lowering drug.

I hope it helps you. If you have any further queries, please ask me.

What if I have a fatty liver? What can I do about that? Should I take medicines, or is it enough if I reduce my weight? I hope my liver and kidneys are normal right now.

#

I understand your concern.

No medicines will be required for fatty liver.

Weight reduction is the key.

So, I do not need to worry about my kidneys and liver now?

#

There is no kidney damage in your reports.

Liver dysfunction is there, but that can be due to viral, alcohol, or pain killers. If none of these are possible causes, then it is called nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and that needs weight reduction.

Also, get your blood sugar, blood pressure and thyroid levels checked.

I hope it helps you.

|