Penile Fracture

Penile fracture is different from other bone fractures where there is a tear in the tunica albuginea (a membrane below the skin that helps in increasing the width and size of the penis during erection). It happens when the erected penis is bent suddenly or forcefully, and traumatic masturbation. It is a medical emergency. The signs of indication are sudden loss of erection, severe pain, popping sound, bent penis, bleeding, difficult urination, etc. Diagnosis is made with the help of cavernosography (a special X-ray), ultrasound, MRI, etc. Treatment includes surgery and rest without intercourse for atleast a month.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Penile erection falls to one side with pain and discomfort. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am sure I have suspensory ligament tear or injury. I have slight pain and discomfort. My erection falls to one side when lying on my back and it also points downward when standing up. I do not have any past medical history.  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhav Vishal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to As you have written that you have no past history of any significant condition, so I am sure there is no history of injury or pelvis bone fracture. It is highly unlikely for anyone to have suspensory ligament injury without a pelvic bone fracture. Penile normal anatomy is...  Read Full »

Is it safe to masturbate daily?

Query: Hello Doctor,  I masturbate daily.  Is it safe ? Will it cause any problem?  Read Full »

Dr. Velusamy Madathupalayam Palansamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Masturbation is absolutely safe. Other than giving pleasure it also helps in relieving stress. It depends on the number of times you do it. The reason is that it should not become an addiction. Once you are addicted, psychological intervention might be needed. Ver...  Read Full »

Is it possible to have a tunica albuginea rupture and be unaware of it?

Query: Hello doctor, If I were to strain or have a small superficial rupture to the tunica albuginea during erection, would I notice this in any way? Will there be any pain or bruising? I have read somewhere that the tunica has no pain nerves. That is why I wonder. There is no pain or abnormality noticed....  Read Full »

Dr. Khant Shahil Ramesh Bhai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Yes, any rupture of tunica albuginea will cause pain as a minimum sign. It can also cause a bruising ecchymosis but, a pain is a must. Completely ruptured tunica causes a penile fracture. Repeated partial rupture leads to Peyronie's disease. To detect a partial ...  Read Full »

I had an injury to my penis during intercourse, causing pain during my erection. How do I overcome this?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an injury to my penis during intercourse where my penis slipped out and hit part of my spouse's body, making my penis bend and causing tremendous pain. I did not hear a pop, and there was no bruising or blood. However, it has been over six weeks and I still have pain with an erecti...  Read Full »

Dr. Choudhary Devendra

Answer: Hi, Welcome back to If there was no bruising, and still able to achieve an erection, it is very less in fracture. There might be tearing of some fibers out of the multilayered tunica albuginea. This will heal with time. Sometimes in a few months. Presently you require an anti-inflamm...  Read Full »

When I pushed my penis down, I heard a loud cracking sound. What can it be?

Query: Hi doctor,I am an 18-years-old male. I was pleasuring myself, and while I was pleasuring myself, I pushed my penis down, and when I did that, I heard a loud cracking sound and an immediate loss of erection. I have very little to no pain and no swelling. The crack happened at the base of my penis, an...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. The presentation of penile fracture is loud pop sound and immediate loss of erection due to severe bend of an erected penis. There will be swelling of the penis due to bleeding and discoloration of the skin. And the...  Read Full »

Does a penile injury require emergency medical care?

Query: Hello doctor, I sustained a penile injury last night during sexual activity. I noticed blood filled bump the previous night, and it has ruptured and became flat now. I do not have any pain. I guess it to be a ruptured vein. Kindly help me to know if it requires medical care. Thanks.  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thanks for consulting us. Classical penile fracture is when you hear a pop sound, and you immediately lose erection. It will be painful and require emergency surgery to repair the corpora. But the picture you sent has no penile deformity or swelling (attachments...  Read Full »

Can penile fracture be treated?

Query: Hi doctor,I have an untreated penile fracture. I heard a noise during masturbation and my penis started to hurt a lot. But I did not have swelling and pain. So I did not consult the doctor. Now, I am getting pain during erection now and then. It has been a year now. I think that I have a scar that c...  Read Full »

Dr. Yousef Abbas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to You seem to have a post-traumatic micro-inflammation causing self-inforcing pain. It is good that you have consulted a urologist. The penis is an organ densely packed with small important blood vessels and nerves. I give you a therapeutic approach with medication to hav...  Read Full »

Why do I have painful ridges on penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I got my penis injured while having sex with my girlfriend. Now, I have what seems to be an inflamed rib or ridges on only one side of my penis. It hurts all day while walking or lifting too. I have a hard flaccid penis since this has happened. I have been taking anti-inflammatory...  Read Full »

Dr. Vivekanandan Govindasamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I had a look at the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I believe you have got thrombophlebitis of the superficial veins of penis. It is a self-limiting condition and usually resolves in a few weeks. All you need is supportive care with anti-inflamm...  Read Full »

Why is there a bruise at the base of the penis shaft with pain after intercourse?

Query: Hello doctor, Last night during intercourse, I started having a burning feeling at the base of my shaft, almost like a paper cut. I finished the fun like normal and pain subsided. Later that night, a few hours later, we did it again. It hurt a little but not bad. This morning when I woke up I had a ...  Read Full »

Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to This could be a fractured penis (tear in the hard lining of penis rods below the skin). It has to be confirmed by penile doppler and if present, has to be repaired by small surgery. If not repaired, it may lead to poor erections in the future. Avoid intercourse for a few ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.