Penile Injury

Several types of injuries affecting the penis are fracture, entrapment, amputation, rupture (or tear), and strangulation. Penile fractures are relatively rare. Penis fractures while it is in an erected state. Sudden lateral movement of the erected penis during masturbation or sex leads to its fracture. Amputation of the penis occurs during road accidents and wars. Strangulation can be caused by blood supply cut-off due to rings and rubber bands that some men use for extended erection. Prolonged strangulation can lead to necrosis and gangrene. The zippers of the pants cause entrapment of the penis, especially in small boys.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Does a penile injury require emergency medical care?

Query: Hello doctor, I sustained a penile injury last night during sexual activity. I noticed blood filled bump the previous night, and it has ruptured and became flat now. I do not have any pain. I guess it to be a ruptured vein. Kindly help me to know if it requires medical care. Thanks.  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thanks for consulting us. Classical penile fracture is when you hear a pop sound, and you immediately lose erection. It will be painful and require emergency surgery to repair the corpora. But the picture you sent has no penile deformity or swelling (attachments...  Read Full »

Can sickle cell anemia affect erections?

Query: Hi doctor, About two years ago, I injured my penis using a penis vacuum device. I was using it only for my second time, and it seemed like I overdid it. Also, something to note is that I have sickle cell trait. For the two weeks after the injury, I could not get erections, but then after that, I wa...  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Jairath

Answer: Hi, Welcome to You have two issues. First is sickle cell, while small arteries like the penile artery can get blocked due to the disease process itself (as in your case). Secondly, as you told during the use of a vacuum device, trauma can greatly potentiate blockage in the already com...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for the black mark on my penis?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a black mark on my penis head and after a month, it got spread. I have a reddish-pink mark below it and sometimes my penis becomes dry. I do not have any irritation or itching. I am really scared due to it. I want to get cured. I have attached some pictures. Please help me.   Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Answer: Hi,Welcome to understand your concern. According to the statement, you have a black mark on the penis head. According to the picture, (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you are suffering from penile melanosis. It is a harmless condition characterized by patches of dark s...  Read Full »

Can penile sensitivity be lost after a trauma?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a traumatic stretch injury in my penis 11 weeks ago where I lost all touch sensitivity over my entire penis. The sensation of temperature and pain were unaffected. I have had nerve conduction studies done (uploaded for your review), and I was told that the results are in the normal...  Read Full »

Dr. Abhaya Kant Tewari

Answer: Hi, Welcome to As I understand, you had a stretch injury 11 weeks ago, leading to the entire loss of touch to the entire penis, though the sensation of temperature and pain are present. This is called a dissociated sensation, whereby the touch sensation is lost, but pain and temperatu...  Read Full »

Is it fine if I use penis pump with gentle pressure to stimulate erections?

Query: Hi doctor, I got an injury from a penis pump accidentally on giving high pressure and masturbating for many hours, causing inflammation. I have seen multiple urologists and a general surgeon with experience in the penis as well. They all say it is just a stubborn inflammation and to give it time. W...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thanks for consulting us. First, you need to stop the pump till your penile condition is back to normal. You will not get penile atrophy at all as it is not possible. Erections can be affected if you use the pump aggressively as it causes fibrosis of the structures in ...  Read Full »

I am not able to maintain firm erection after penile stretching. How to bring back to normal?

Query: Hi doctor, During masturbation, I can maintain my erection firm enough for sex but it is not hard as before. I have done a bit of penile stretching. Could this cause problem? How can I know if I have damaged the penile tissues and ligaments? I do not have penile numbness. Please suggest.   Read Full »

Dr. Raveendran Sr

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. If you have injured your penis, then you can have pain during masturbation, urination, and during erection. If you are worried, you can do a doppler study of penis.   Read Full »

Do I need surgical treatment for damaged blood vessels in the penis?

Query: Hello doctor,Years ago, while having sex my blood vessels got damaged. If this is not causing me issues, is this fine to not get it corrected. As long as it did not cause me issues, I was told that I do not need any treatment. But I am wondering if I should have surgery. Please guide.  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Yes, that is true. If you had a blood vessel damaged during sex long ago and there were no issues so far, no need to do any corrective surgery. The penis is rich with blood supply. If one vessel got damaged, other vessels would cover the areas supplied by that vess...  Read Full »

How to manage a tear in the penis at the bottom of the urethral opening?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old male with a tear in my penis at the bottom of my urethra opening. I believe my injury was from rough intercourse without lubrication. My wound is extremely painful when I urinate, and when I tried opening my urethra bigger to alleviate the pain. I believe the tear g...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep V Nair

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern and the pain you went through. It is one of the most painful conditions a man can get. The steps you have taken are adequate. If there is an oozing of blood when you urinate, then you should meet a doctor urgently. If the oozing is from the tea...  Read Full »

Why do my penile skin peels often?

Query: Hello doctor, At the start of this year, I caught an STD, for which I took antibiotics and used a cream called Travocort. The STD went away quickly, but the main problem was using Travocort. While using it, I realized that my skin is getting hurt, the skin is peeling off, and it was not very pleas...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Yes, I got a few patients who had the same complaints before, and the issue is the skin is weak since the previous STD (sexually transmitted disease) and less than usual friction can peel off an area on and heals slowly. In the meanwhile, it causes pain if you try to ma...  Read Full »

Why do I have redness and burning in corona of glans?

Query: Hello doctor, I have redness on the corona of glans. It has been for a few days now and burns a little after urinating. When I apply the ice, the redness lightened. But after a few hours, it is the same. I am worried if it is serious or just an injury? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Did you have unprotected sex or forceful erection because it seems that you have got an injury and due to that it is happening. Or other reason can be fungal infection so I would recommend you to apply Beclomethasone + Clotrimazole cream for two to three times a day f...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.