Q. I lost penile sensitivity after a traumatic injury. Is there any chance of recovery?

Dr. Abhaya Kant Tewari

I had a traumatic stretch injury in my penis 11 weeks ago where I lost all touch sensitivity over my entire penis. The sensation of temperature and pain were unaffected. I have had nerve conduction studies done (uploaded for your review), and I was told that the results are in the normal range and that there is no significant nerve damage. But still, there has been no improvement to the numbness. I would value your opinion on whether there is any chance of recovery.

#

As I understand, you had a stretch injury 11 weeks ago, leading to the entire loss of touch to the entire penis, though the sensation of temperature and pain are present. This is called a dissociated sensation, whereby the touch sensation is lost, but pain and temperature are unaffected. This problem is seen in spinal cord diseases (including the lowest portion of conus medullaris and cauda equina, which you do not have). Your problems have started with a stretch injury to the penis, and maybe some fibers of the pudendal nerve are damaged. Though it has been 11 weeks, there is always a probability of regaining the functions. I would like to know whether you have any associated erectile dysfunction also.

But all the same, there is an injury to the fine nerve in the penis as there is a history of stretch injury, the nerves will always try to recover, and we should give it time. Yes, there is a possibility of sensation returning, in my opinion.

In the meantime, try avoiding sitting in the same chair or position for a long time, change your chair frequently if you have to sit for a long time, stand most of the time as long as possible. Wear loose undergarments and do not do cycling.

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, you are correct doctor, there is dissociated sensation of the entire penis following stretch injury. There is no problem with erectile function, which occurs normally. I have also had an MRI scan of the spine which was normal as a precaution. Do the nerve conduction tests look in the normal range to you, or should I have them repeated?

I will follow all your advice.

Is it a long healing process?

#

There is no need to repeat the nerve conduction studies at the moment. The NCV (nerve conduction velocity) will only confirm our findings and not add anything. Yes the recovery is slow and will take time as the nerve grows very slowly and new connections have to be made. Please follow the instructions. There is nothing more to be done at the moment.

|