Q. I have a black mark on my penis head, with a reddish-pink mark below it. What to do?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 31, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 22, 2021

I have a black mark on my penis head and after a month, it got spread. I have a reddish-pink mark below it and sometimes my penis becomes dry. I do not have any irritation or itching. I am really scared due to it. I want to get cured. I have attached some pictures. Please help me.

#

I understand your concern. According to the statement, you have a black mark on the penis head. According to the picture, (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you are suffering from penile melanosis. It is a harmless condition characterized by patches of dark skin on the penis head. This hyperpigmentation occurs due to excess deposition of melanin on the skin. It does not require treatment and it fades away with time. It is not contagious. For removing these dark spots, you need to undergo surgical intervention or laser therapy for cosmetic purposes.

Do these pinkish marks suggest penile melanosis? Will it keep spreading? Initially, I got a black spot in one place and it was small. After that, it got big and I have them in three places now. My penis becomes dry often. Is it due to penile melanosis? Is there any tablet or ointment or any home remedies for it?

#

According to the picture, you are suffering from penile melanosis. It is a benign condition caused due to overproduction of melanin. Skin can appear in various colors including different shades of brown, pink, black, grey, or blue. Overproduction of melanin usually occurs after an injury to the penis. It often occurs due to excessive rubbing of the penis while sexual intercourse or self-pleasuring. Continous frictions or injuries to the penis by wearing tight clothes or masturbation or sexual intercourse can get spread. Dryness of the glans penis occurs often due to friction. Wearing loose clothes, avoiding masturbation or sexual intercourse, and maintaining personal hygiene can help to provide some relief. Topical retinol (vitamin A) cream can be applied every night before going to sleep. Moisturizing cream or Vaseline can be used for preventing dryness of the penis. If you notice any changes in the black spot on your penis, then you can get a second opinion soon here.

Is this possible to remove these marks completely using laser treatment? Is it safe?

#

Yes, you can use laser treatment to remove these marks completely. It helps in removing or reducing these pigmented skin lesions. It can take time and it requires to be done in multiple sessions. In some cases, pigmentation will not go away but they become weaker. Some people may require surgery to remove these spots. Penile melanosis surgery involves removing the skin with pigment and the area is grafted with new skin. It takes time to get healed after surgery. This removal procedure should be done deep on the skin and it should not affect the sexual health of the person.

I have a bit of bleeding from the pink spots of the penis. Is this due to penile melanosis?

#

According to the picture, you can have two possibilities. The first one is friction burn. It can result from vigorous rubbing caused during sexual activities or due to wearing tight-fitting clothes. Glans penis is very sensitive and so friction pain is very painful in this area. The other reason can be melanoma and it appears with darker spots on the glans penis. It is similar to penile melanosis. Penile melanoma is rare but it can grow causing changes in color with bleeding. It is difficult to differentiate penile melanosis from penile melanoma. Penile melanosis is a benign condition but the outcome of melanoma is bad. So it is good to undergo a biopsy from the penile lesion to confirm the diagnosis. In the meantime, you can wear loose clothes to prevent having friction on the penis.

|