Q. I vomit after eating and passing black stool with upset stomach. Kindly help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2020

I vomit after eating and have an upset stomach too. I also have a black stool. What could be the causes of these?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

This seems to be peptic ulcer within stomach. The pain of stomach ulcer worsen after taking meals. Do you have a previous history of peptic ulcers? The black stools are suggestive of ongoing bleeding from peptic ulcer; the bleeding may be small to cause change in the color of stools; however, a large ongoing bleeding can not be ruled unless I know your blood pressure and heart rate. Plus do you have vomiting of similar black color in these days?

I suggest you to start capsule Esmoperazole 40 mg twice daily before meals. Take this medication regularly. In case if you are feeling fainting, or dizziness, blurring of vision when you stand from sitting position, or your upper level of the blood pressure (systolic blood presure) is less than 90 or your heart rate above 90 beats per minute; I recommend you to visit near by emergency department for treatment and possible need of endoscopy. Otherwise if you do not have any alarming signs as I mentioned I suggest you can start medications and see if it helps you. This medication will suppress the acid production in the stomach and will help heal the ulcers in stomach. Let me know if I can provide more information about your condition. Take care.

Peptic ulcer disease

Complete blood count
Prothrombin time and INR
Gastroscopy

Provide more information as I can be able to solve your problem at moment.

| 

I have stomach pain and swollen ankles. What could be the problem?

Query: Hello Doctor, Since 1 month I have been suffering from stomach problem. Whenever I eat something, I immediately have stomach pain and pass stools. There is swelling in both the ankles. I feel weak. What could be the problem?  Read Full »

What causes oil in stools?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having digestive issues for some time, gotten a bit worse. Symptoms: bowel bloating and pain after meals or sometimes on empty stomach middle of the night, mornings, acid reflux with everything I eat, I eat purely healthy, puree my veggies and small amounts of chicken, eggs, salmon...  Read Full »

Can hepatitis E cause black stools?

Query: Hello doctor,My mom has hepatitis E since the last 15 days. As advised by the doctor, she is taking Drakshadi Kashaya, three teaspoons mixed with nine teaspoons of water and a quarter teaspoon of Katuki Choorna. Also, she is taking Nirocil tablet thrice a day since three days. Yesterday her stool ...  Read Full »