Q. I have continuous sticky mucus leakage from the anus and anal discomfort. What to do?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2020

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease 5 years back with symptoms like multiple visits to Washroom & stomach discomfort. My current symptoms are continuous sticky Mucus leakage from Anus since last 18 months. Also there is anal sweating, itching , discomfort & sometimes anal burning. Facing continuous mucus leakage from Anus since the past 18 months even after stools. Sticky Mucus keeps on dropping out although in very less quantity. The Mucus secretion reduces in cold temperatures & hence in cold temperatures Anal discomfort reduces. Moreover, anal discomfort also seems to depend on the type on innerwear. I am on no medications.

Four years back, I started facing this issue of Mucus leakage from Anus even without stools. Colonscopy report revealed few rectum ulcers. Although this issue then reduced itself on its own, not completely but to a good extent. When diagnosed, I took Allopathic medicines with steroids for a course of 6 weeks after which my health improved & hence I stopped them. Then I have been trying homeopathy & Ayurvedic medicines since then. Also, as per a Gastroenterologist's advice, took Mesacol tablets for 2 months last year, but it did not prove of any help.

Please let me know what should I do to stop this mucus leakage & anal discomfort.

My Other symptoms are mild i.e. sometimes there is stomach discomfort & 1-2 washroom visits per day which are managaeble.

#

Hello Dear. I welcome you to icliniq. Well the symptoms you mention may be secondary to perianal disease. In among 25% to 30% of cases perianal disease in the form of anal fissure, anal fistual, perianal ulceration can accompany with crohns disease. I am afraid that you may have perianal disease given your ongoing symptoms of mucus discharge and pain. Here is the treatment 1. Tab Flagyl 400 mg thrice daily for 2 weeks (will prolong treatment to 4 to 6 week based on your improvement) 2. Apply Xylocain gel 2% 4 hourly, Diltiazem gel 4 hourly alternating with xylocain gel application for 7 days 3. Sitz bath. Take a tub, half filled with slightly warm water, add 5 ml of dettol antiseptic, and sit in it for 5 minutes at least three times daily for total of 5 to 7 days Lastly, I would to emphasize that crohns disease is an autoimmune condition and require a close follow up and management; taking medications intermittently and without establishing response, is not a wise clinical approach. I urge you to keep in close follow up with me or your physician. If you want to follow up with me, I can suggest you some blood test and stool studies, that will help us to design future plan of treatment in your case. I hope this will help

Crohns disase with perianal disease

Crohns disease with perianal disease

as above

Follow up in 1 week to update me how you respond

| 

Why am I having water like discharge after anal fistula surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I was operated for anal fistula four months back. I was made to take sitz bath and antibiotics. The wound is all right and there was no problem till 15 days back when I started feeling waterlike discharge from anus especially when I walk for a distance. There is no foul smell. Sometim...  Read Full »

Article Overview: Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain, and weight loss  Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What Is Crohn's Disease? Crohn’s disease, otherwise called ileitis or enteritis, causes inflammation of the digestive tract (anywhere from the mouth to the anus) and is a type of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). It causes inflammation of different parts of the digestive tract for different p...  Read Article

I am a crohn's disease patient. Can I take ayurvedic medicines?

Query: Hi, I am a crohn's disease patient and now my ESR level is 70 and CRP positive. I am taking pentasa 1g twice (morning and evening) and also 150mg of azoran (immunity suppressant tablet) in the morning alone. Today I visited an ayurvedic doctor to start ayurvedic treatment and he gave me medicine ind...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»