Q. My anus is itchy. Do I have anything to worry about?

Dr. Noushif M

Yesterday, my anus started to become itchy. I think it maybe after a bowel movement. I have been eating more nuts than usual. It does not hurt, but gives me the urge to itch. Is this normal? Never had this problem before, not that I remember. Can I use this cream (external link removed) for repair and antiitch? Do I have anything to worry about?

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgery Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

Itching around the anus can be due to multiple reasons.

Any parasitic infestation like pinworm is a common thing. Other possibilities are fungal infection or simply just perianal soiling.

You can use the cream well. Keep the area dry and hygienic.

If not settling I suggest a single tablet of Albendazole 400 mg once weekly for two weeks. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

Clotrimazole based creams (for fungal) can be used if itching is persistent and you develop perianal skin excoriations.

Nothing to worry much. Just keep on follow up. Any issues if unsettled let me know. Good luck.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|