Q. I have a brown freckle on the skin that peels with white skin beneath. Do I have skin cancer?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

I have a dark red or brown large freckle appeared on my skin. I noticed it because it came on with a subtle stinging. It was there for a few days, and then it peeled right off like sunburned skin. Underneath was fresh white skin. Is this a form of cancer?

#

I have seen the attached photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and read the brief history. It does not look like anything you should be afraid of. Firstly, as your skin type is prone to sun damage, it should just be a sunburn as it is more likely to tingle and burn and peel off. A cancerous growth is most likely to be painless, which would increase in its size gradually and tend to itch or bleed and would not peel of wholly, and it would not leave a hypopigmented post-inflammatory mark like you are having.

So there is no reason to worry about this lesion. If you have similar tingling lesions on the safe side, you can send for a skin biopsy to rule out anything. But as for this lesion, it is highly unlikely to be cancerous. I hope this helps.

|