Common "Pericoronitis" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Pericoronitis

Inflammation of the pericoronal flap or operculum, which is the part of the gums that overlaps a partially erupted third molar or wisdom tooth, is called pericoronitis. The symptoms include severe pain in the area, swollen gums, inability to open the mouth, pus discharge, and bad breath. The treatment options include waiting for the third molar to erupt completely, surgical excision of the pericoronal flap, or extraction of the wisdom tooth.