Q. Can I get dental braces if there is any gum disease?

Dr. Shamaz Mohamed
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 23, 2021

Most of my teeth were grafted in my bottom. I underwent surgery as my gums were not so thick to have braces and I had severe gum recession. I want to know how much bone is necessary to wear braces. If the bone loss is severe, what are the other options to restore it? How to control my gum diseases and how to make my gums healthy? How much bone can be restored and how can it be restored? How to have enough bone support to accommodate braces?

#

I understand your need to have orthodontic treatment using braces. For having braces, it is important that you should not have any gum diseases. Gum diseases like periodontitis cause bone loss and hence it can be prevented by undergoing gum treatment. It includes gum surgery and bone grafting. The amount of bone height necessary for the accomodation of braces depends on the amount of bone loss and type of gum disease. You can have bone height at the level of CEJ (cementoenamel junction) or bone loss not more than 3 mm from the neck of the tooth. Your dentist needs to do periodontal treatment by doing bone grafting.

|