Q. If I get braces for deep bite, will it affect my face profile?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Nov 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2019

I have a 1 to 2 mm deep bite, which is mild. If I get braces and my wisdom teeth out, then my lower facial profile will improve. Will it change my face from round to something else? My jawline looks very awkward. My jawline almost slants before it hits the actual change of direction point. But, for other people, their jawline is straight down or slanted straight and then hits the vertex of the two lines. Does my overbite have something to do with it?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• The facial shape will never change now from ovoid to some other.
  • The main problem with your jaw is that they are constricted (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It means V-shape especially the lower one, which has caused this anomaly.
  • Your mandible is deficient that is deficient growth, but cannot be changed as the growing stage is nearly over. But, with dental braces the shape of the dental arch will be changed from V-shape to a more U-shaped arch.
  • Braces will change this constricted arch to a more rounded arch, which will give a better appearance.
  • The slanting of the jaw is what I said will improve a bit when the third molar too erupts.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I have large buck teeth and triangular gap between rows. Do I need braces?

Query: Hello doctor, So, I have an overbite and I would probably say it is pretty bad. My teeth are not that bad, but I do have large buck teeth. My two front teeth are angled on the outsides and that creates a triangle shape gap in between my top and bottom teeth. I was wondering with the information p...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. You have mentioned that your front teeth are protruded, large and that creates a space with the lower teeth. With these, I am pretty much sure that you might need braces (fixed orthodontic therapy). But a pr...  Read Full

My lower jaw sits a little backwards. Can this be corrected?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some problems with my dental structure. The one that I feel as a major issue is that my lower jaw sits a little backwards from where it should rest. It is resulting in giving me a double chin and makes me look awkward. Kindly suggest how this can be corrected. Thank you.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I need to see a picture for finding a complete treatment plan. Some type of cases can be corrected by using braces or orthodontic treatment, but some require a surgical procedure to correct them. Revert back with the photos to a dentist online --> https:...  Read Full

Melasma (Dark Patches on Face): How to Get Rid of Them

Article Overview: Melasma is one of the most common hyperpigmentation disorder that results in dark patches on the sun-exposed areas. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Causes Melasma is an acquired hyperpigmentation where there is a formation of dark brown patches and spots on the skin of the face and sun-exposed areas. When it is induced by pregnancy, it is called chloasma. It is more common in women, especially, those in their reproductive years, but about 10 %...  Read Article