Q. I have periodontitis. Will antibiotics help?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

I have history of periodontitis. It runs in my family. I fixed my top teeth (two bridges of crowns), but not my bottom teeth yet. Last few days it got worse as I have one very wobbly tooth and pain all around my jaw bone. I think it got infected. Can antibiotics help?

#

I suggest you go for full mouth scaling and root planing. After that, follow these:

Maintain good oral hygiene, proper cleaning of mouth after every meal and soft massage with fingers. Warm water and salt rinse 5 to 6 times daily. Do not allow food lodgement. Antibiotic, if you wish you can go for Doxycycline 200 mg for one day followed by 100 mg for 14 days. But I would suggest you go for scaling and root planning first of all because infection should be removed.

Follow up after three days.

|