Q. What is periodontitis and how can it be treated?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 23, 2020

Kindly explain the treatment of periodontitis.

#

Any history of previous braces treatment? Smoking history? Any systemic diseases? Under any long term medication usage? I have gone through your OPG (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Looks like you have a moderate form of generalized periodontitis. Periodontitis is the infalmmatory condition of the underlying bone and the associated structures. It could be either because of local factors or due to systemic conditions. A complete oral examination should be done to determine what is causing your generalized bone loss in oral cavity.

The most common local factors are calculus (hardened yellow food deposits), habits history and unstable bite. This unstable bite could also be due to your wisdom teeth. Some of the systemic factors include, nutritional deficiencies, systemic diseases like diabetes mellitus, genetic factors, blood disorders, immunocompromised diseases or if under any long term medication.

Treatment depends on the cause. Treating the cause, stops the progression of the disease. If it's due to local factors, scaling and polishing followed by LANAP (LASER Assisted New Attachment Procedure) will help. Long term maintanance including review appointments and oral prophylaxis should be done in periodical intervals. Please visit a periodontist/dentist to identify the cause and to start with your treatment.

|