Q. What is periodontitis and how can it be treated?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick
Published on Jan 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 23, 2020

Kindly explain the treatment of periodontitis.

#

Any history of previous braces treatment? Smoking history? Any systemic diseases? Under any long term medication usage? I have gone through your OPG (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Looks like you have a moderate form of generalized periodontitis. Periodontitis is the infalmmatory condition of the underlying bone and the associated structures. It could be either because of local factors or due to systemic conditions. A complete oral examination should be done to determine what is causing your generalized bone loss in oral cavity.

The most common local factors are calculus (hardened yellow food deposits), habits history and unstable bite. This unstable bite could also be due to your wisdom teeth. Some of the systemic factors include, nutritional deficiencies, systemic diseases like diabetes mellitus, genetic factors, blood disorders, immunocompromised diseases or if under any long term medication.

Treatment depends on the cause. Treating the cause, stops the progression of the disease. If it's due to local factors, scaling and polishing followed by LANAP (LASER Assisted New Attachment Procedure) will help. Long term maintanance including review appointments and oral prophylaxis should be done in periodical intervals. Please visit a periodontist/dentist to identify the cause and to start with your treatment.

| 

Why is my tooth root exposed?

Query: Hello doctor, My two front bottom teeth are wearing away from the inside (from below upwards). They will soon have the roots exposed and then I will surely lose them. Is there anything I can do to slow down the process? Brushing now seems to accelerate it with chunks coming out!! I have not been to ...  Read Full »

Please give a solution for an infected tooth.

Query: Hi doctor, My right tooth is infected. I have done a filling in the tooth before two years. Now, the infection has spread to the roots. I am unable to use the right side because of this problem. Please tell me the solution.  Read Full »

Can I use whitening toothpaste for the yellow stains in my teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have yellow stains in my teeth. I feel very bad before others. This problem has been there since childhood. I have attached the pictures of my stained teeth. Please advise.  Read Full »