Q. How to treat dentigerous cyst and odontoma present in the lower gums?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

I have been detected with a dentigerous cyst and compound odontoma inside my lower gums. I have been advised for removal of the cyst and to have a biopsy of the cyst for odontoma. I do not have pain and swelling. I visited a dentist before few months where I took an X-ray. We found a small dark area in the X-ray. It was an odontoma with an unerupted canine. It was confirmed again in a CBCT scan. The results came with a dentigerous cyst and odontoma. I am scared of the surgery done under GA. Is it necessary to remove the cyst?

Surgeons suggest me different opinions. One oral surgeon is implying for removal of the cyst, odontoma and placing a plate on the canine. Another surgeon is recommending for the removal of the cyst and odontoma. Another dentist says me to wait and watch as it is asymptomatic. I am attaching my reports. Please suggest.

#

If the cysts are small, they can be left untreated. But the problem is that the cysts can create an infection later. They can also cause more issues like tooth mobility, bone loss or any other transformation. So it is better to remove it. Odontomas are developmental. They also create problems when they are left untreated. But again, there are chances of cyst formation and expansion later. So, if the oral surgeon suggests for removal of the cyst, try to go for it.

I have gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is better to remove the cyst. Currently, you do not have problems. If it is left untreated, it can form ameloblastoma in the future. You do not worry. These cysts are found in any person due to the impacted tooth.

Thank you so much.

#

You are welcome.

|