Q. Could chronic periodontitis affect the lifespan of a 32-year-old male?

Dr. Krishna Swaroop Achanta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2022 and last reviewed on: Jun 27, 2022

I am a 32-year-old male, and I recently had a scaling and root planning done for mild to moderate periodontitis. It also included a laser treatment as I had bleeding gums. My gum pockets were mostly of 3 mm, and three to four teeth had pockets of 5 mm to 6 mm. I am experiencing bleeding even though I was treated about three months back. I want to have healthy gums so that I can have good overall health. May I know if periodontitis reduces lifespan if one is diagnosed in the early 30s? Please advise. I want to maintain my oral health without undergoing expensive and painful surgery.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

Do not worry, and periodontitis will not affect your lifespan though it will have the potential to cause systemic diseases. It means it is a risk factor for developing generalized health conditions.

The mouth is a mirror of general health, so bleeding gums for a long time is chronic and needs daily follow-up as per my advice.

I am going to give you a series of suggestions. But tell me, firstly, do you notice bleeding while brushing only? Or bleeding from the gums is present every now and then?

I will also be suggesting certain medications for improving your gum health.

Thank you,

I usually have bleeding sometimes while brushing, and no bleeding after that. I had a deep cleaning done three months back, and it was fine for about five days with no bleeding. I brush twice a day and floss thoroughly before sleeping. I am a bit concerned with the bleeding.

#

I understand your concern.

Once you get a deep cleaning done, the gum problems will not resolve immediately. The regrowth of the gum tissue takes around three to four months approximately.

To avoid any painful gum surgery in the future, You can follow these suggestions-

1. You must perform a lukewarm salt water mouth rinse (concentrated salt solution) five to six times a day for a month. As you had the deep cleaning done, this will stabilize your gums.

2. You can use a Chlorhexidine 0.12 % mouthwash. Brands will vary at your local store, but you can just ask for a Chlorhexidine mouth wash. Rinse your mouth every night before bedtime.

For some people, scaling needs to be done every six months, even though a dentist may not always recommend it. That is because, in people with more deposit or gum inflammation, cleaning or scaling needs to be done every six months till the bleeding problem resolves.

3. You must go for a round of deep scaling again after six months.

4. You may take alpha-Lipoic acid supplements or Omega 3-6 fatty acid supplements. You can get these easily from the pharmacy. These are like antioxidants that will arrest gingival bleeding. These supplements you need to take at least thrice a week for three to four months usually.

Thank you, doctor,

I will follow what you said and will follow up with you.

#

I understand your concern.

Make sure you take the Omega or alpha-Lipoic acid supplements once daily.

Take care.

Chlorhexidine is not available without a prescription at my place. Can you send me a prescription?

#

I understand your concern.

You can buy any easily available branded mouthwash either from a pharmacy or online. Rinse with mouth wash twice a day. Once after brushing and then after dinner. As for Omega 3-6 supplements, you get direct supplements everywhere. So, do not worry. Thank you.

Bleeding has reduced today. I am rinsing my mouth with salt water. As you mentioned, taking care of oral health also helps maintain overall health. However, I have a concern regarding the black spots between the teeth. They have been there for the last five years. I have visited dentists from time to time, but nobody has told me about them. Usually, they say I have no cavities except gum bleeding and inflammation. May I know if those spots are cavities? If not, can they be removed?

#

I understand your concern.

From the picture (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), it is not very clear.

There might be tiny cavities in between your teeth. They can be filled if it is not exactly near the gum line.

Thank you,

I have had these spots between the teeth for almost eight teeth, and I am unsure if I have them for other teeth. All these spots are around the gum line. Let me know how long should I wait to get them removed? I am not experiencing any pain or discomfort.

#

I understand your concern.

If they are melanin spots, they must be removed by laser surgery. But hyperpigmented melanin spots are common findings on the gum.

If it is caries, then it can be treated by restoration (fillings).

It needs a physical examination.

Thank you, doctor,

I will consult you if I ever have other dental issues.

#

I understand your concern.

Take care.

Do follow the supplements and mouthwash suggested.

|