Q. What are the risks and succes rate associated with pilonidal cyst surgery?

Dr. Subhadeep Tripathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 16, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 18, 2019

I have a pilonidal cyst on tailbone and I would like to ask what are the risks? Success rate? How long do I have to be in the hospital? How long until I can go and work or be my normal self?

Dr. Subhadeep Tripathy

General Surgery
#

It is very evident from your query that you have got a pilonidal cyst. This condition is mostly common in male sex and more in hairy people. I will ask you a few questions and your co-operation will be invaluable.

What is your profession? Do you have to drive for long hours and what is the duration of the swelling? This is very important because this condition is common in drivers. The hair from back or above natal cleft breaks penetrates through the skin causing cyst and it can get infected and cause a pilonidal sinus with serous or pus discharge. Surgery is the treatment.

Now I will answer the queries one by one.

There is no risk for the surgery as such if you have diabetes, the sugars have to be controlled. You have to make sure that you trim the hair over the anal region as I have already mentioned that it is common in hairy males. So if you do not trim your hair near the anal region it can recur. You should get X-ray sacral region to rule out osteomyelitis. Success rate 70 to 80 % depending on the size. You have to be in the hospital for 3 to 4 days. You can work normally after 7 to 10 days. You have to keep your anal region clean to avoid infection.

|