Q. I am in excruciating butt pain when I sit, walk or stand. Is this due to a cyst?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

I am in excruciating pain and can hardly sit down, walk, stand, or lay without being in severe pain. The pain is coming from my left butt cheek, inwards, and more on top than where the hole is. However, I do not see anything on the skin. I do feel like something is growing underneath the surface. It hurts to pee, and I definitely cannot wipe back there. Is this a cyst or something worse? Please help.

#

I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern.

It seems you are having pain in the coccyx region. The coccyx is a small bone present between the anus and lower end of the spine(sacrum). There are many causes of pain in this region like a pilonidal cyst, fractured bone, sciatica, infection and inflammation of the coccyx.

Avoid sitting at one place for a long time and prefer to sit on cushion, pillows or padded seats.

You can apply ice packs over the painful area and can take analgesic medicines for pain relief. Rarely, when patients have severe pain, surgical resection of the bone can be done.

|